ICE ICE baby

ibiza95

Mar 13, 2008
ipswich, suffolk
this is the start of my install in my boot, with a 12" in the centre and a 10" each side with an 800w amp (altho i need another amp as its not powerful enough to run all 3 subs and i also have 2 300w 6x9s on my parcel shelf, i know its not spectacular but its in an ibiza :D

15062008166.jpg

15062008167.jpg

15062008168.jpg

i have a little bit more work to do tidying it up and finishing the build its simple but effective

Last edited:

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
why dont u take out the back seats? ..just an idea.

your going to fibreglass it up yeah? update pics when ur doing it im interested in putting a PC into the boot. thanks.

Poverty

wait. Having one 12 and two 10's doesnt actually make sense other than from a cosmetic point of view.

Are those two 10's connected cause they are going to be needing a box before they will make any meaningful bass. Also you are going to have to either box in or ditch those 6x9's.

ibiza95

Mar 13, 2008
ipswich, suffolk
why box the 6x9's in???? and the 10s will be boxed when ive finished they arent connected yet i havent got enough amp power, and i only put the 10s in as i got them really cheap (£20 the pair) so thought i would use them, i am takeing my time on this tho, any suggestions would be good, thank you for your comments

Poverty

Because the spl of the sub/subs will make the 6x9's distort in at higher volumes, and will ultimatley become the beginning of the end of your 6x9's without going into too much detail. Boxing in the 6x9's will block out the sound pressure for the 6x9's to then play without fighting resistance and becoming distorted.

How much RMS power will you be needing for the 3 subs and at what ohms?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
If I was you I would take that 12" out of that box and make a new box to match the 10's you are going to put in tho.

Thats just my opinion.

oh dear, er... maybe you could start again :)

x1 amp, x1 12" Sub, x1set of components for the front.

That should start you off nicely

Thats what Ive got just now,except a 10" Sub, not a 12" and Im happy with it. I have a set of 6 x 9's aswell but thats only for the benefit or rear passengers.

Im planning on building something in the boot. I have a new amp perfectly suited to go with the 10", well 2 as I have another sub which I'm thinking of putting in, havent really decided yet.

MomoMK2

Jul 3, 2007
York
yup seems abit weird going to all that effort for 3 separate cheap subs but hay ho.

for about 6 months now ive been in the process of sorting my ICE out.

ive got:

17cm Alpine Type S doors
Alpine Type S 6x9s
JBL GT4 12 inch sub

alpine v power amp for 6x9s

jbl gto 4 way amp for doors and sub (luckily worked out perfect RMS output if you bridge one channel for the sub and use the others for the door speakers, wasnt originally going to amp the doors)

since then ive aquired a big roll of thick gauge decent speaker cable and some decent thick gauge gold plated RCAs (also gold plated speaker and amp terminals)

i bought a big sheet of 12mm MDF and 2 rolls of acoustic carpet

laid a new boot liner using some thick rubber coated carpet underlay then cut a boot floor out of MDF to drill my amps to. Also this boot floor has holes drilled by the sides of the amps so the cables can run up through slits in the acoustic carpet once its covered (should look suave!)

also cut an MDF parcel shelf with a nice centre curve out of it, this still needs the 6x9s in and covering in carpet then screwing down into car.

and i already have a decent quality sub box which sits nicely on the boot floor next to my amps.

its a pretty simple setup but should look and sound sweet when its done, havent had any time recently cus of uni comitments (and needing to borrow a drill) but when its done ill post some pics!!!

cheers.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
yup seems abit weird going to all that effort for 3 separate cheap subs but hay ho.

for about 6 months now ive been in the process of sorting my ICE out.

ive got:

17cm Alpine Type S doors
Alpine Type S 6x9s
JBL GT4 12 inch sub

alpine v power amp for 6x9s

jbl gto 4 way amp for doors and sub (luckily worked out perfect RMS output if you bridge one channel for the sub and use the others for the door speakers, wasnt originally going to amp the doors)

since then ive aquired a big roll of thick gauge decent speaker cable and some decent thick gauge gold plated RCAs (also gold plated speaker and amp terminals)

i bought a big sheet of 12mm MDF and 2 rolls of acoustic carpet

laid a new boot liner using some thick rubber coated carpet underlay then cut a boot floor out of MDF to drill my amps to. Also this boot floor has holes drilled by the sides of the amps so the cables can run up through slits in the acoustic carpet once its covered (should look suave!)

also cut an MDF parcel shelf with a nice centre curve out of it, this still needs the 6x9s in and covering in carpet then screwing down into car.

and i already have a decent quality sub box which sits nicely on the boot floor next to my amps.

its a pretty simple setup but should look and sound sweet when its done, havent had any time recently cus of uni comitments (and needing to borrow a drill) but when its done ill post some pics!!!

cheers.

That sounds like the sort of thing I was considering with my boot. Was also thinking getting a 4 channel amp to run my 6x9's and components.

Have you had any battery issues running the 2 amps?? Reason Im asking is that I know you also have a 1.4

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
im runin 2 jbl amps and 2 jbl subs with an alpine v12 running speakers and a power cap for it all and also incresed the earthing of the car!
as regards your install mate i did 2 x 10 and a 12 (alpine ZR gear so wasnt cheap) years ago and my bass was all over because the 10" are for punchy stuff 15" are for low down and 12" are an inbetween compramise!but each to there own