ICE Install in a MkIV Ibiza - Costings

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
Hi peeps!

Although I haven't actually got an Ibiza yet, I've always been one for forward planning and I'm looking to upgrade the standard ICE kit once I've got it.

At the minute I've got two plans:

Plan 1:
  • Head unit (DAB, iPod connection & MP3 CD)
  • Front components (6.5")
  • Rear full range (6.5")

Plan 2:
  • Head unit (DAB, iPod connection & MP3 CD)
  • Front components (6.5")
  • Rear full range (6.5")
  • Subwoofer (and amp if necessary), but I'm loathe to lose any boot space

As I've never touched on car audio before, my question is how to split the budget out by component? I want a nice well balanced system, so I don't want to spend more than I need to on speakers, leaving me less to spend on a decent head unit.

For reference, my budget is probably going to be around the £600 mark, so how do I best split this down into the separate parts?

I'm not really down to selecting the actual components as yet, I'm really just looking for someone to say "with that budget, I'd set aside £250 for the HU, £150 for the fronts, £100 for the rears..." etc.

Also, looking at 'Plan 2', what are the options for installing a sub & amp in terms of location? I'm really keen to keep all my boot-space, so at the minute I'm favouring a decent set of front components and upgraded rears.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
personally i'd save the money by dropping the rear fills, in a hatchback they're not really necessary and you can then put 100 into better quality front components or sound-deadening.

what music do you listen to? if it's rock/pop/dance i'd go for a sealed 10" sub, which you'd be able to mount on the side of the boot, keeping as much useable space as possible, if you're more into r'n'b/hip hop/anything with really low subs then a 12" might be a better choice.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
personally i'd save the money by dropping the rear fills, in a hatchback they're not really necessary and you can then put 100 into better quality front components or sound-deadening.

what music do you listen to? if it's rock/pop/dance i'd go for a sealed 10" sub, which you'd be able to mount on the side of the boot, keeping as much useable space as possible, if you're more into r'n'b/hip hop/anything with really low subs then a 12" might be a better choice.

By dropping the rear fills, do you mean just keeping the standard speakers? Won't this make the difference in speaker quality more obvious if I uprate the front speakers?

Presumably if I went down the sub route, I could get a 10" sealed sub (wide range of music tbh), with an integrated amp, then I wouldn't need an amp for the components? Just thinking about boot space again...

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to all this!