Ignition coil Recall

DarkSeat

Apr 23, 2006
Birmingham
Hi Guys,

One of my coil packs went on my leon which is not under warranty the AA changed it and charged me £40, He said this is a common problem on VAG cars and if there is a recall the others should be replaced for free. Is this the case???

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Not with Seat, no. At least, not that I'm aware of. I believe Skoda did issue a notice about this but Seat never followed suit.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Warranty aside... I never understood why Seat didn't issue the same recall as their VAG playmate?

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
Got mine done on warranty a couple of months ago and mines an 02, i'd check when yours was registered, see if you can get something for nothing.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
If you're lucky you'll still have a couple of months left yet to claim. 02 plates are from March 2002 through to August 31st 2002, so you have until the end of August to get it sorted.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Warranty aside... I never understood why Seat didn't issue the same recall as their VAG playmate?

they never recalled them though...

just replaced them next time they went in for service if they were the faulty 'type'

however, they can still fail under the 'new' type - any won't cover them

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
5 years or 60k, i had 2 go on me bout 2 months ago! had to go to Audi as SEAT didnt have any in, still only bout 25 bucks each, pain in the ass cause it was numbers 2 and 4 that broke. (4 is under all the plumbing for DV!)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
they never recalled them though...

just replaced them next time they went in for service if they were the faulty 'type'

however, they can still fail under the 'new' type - any won't cover them

That's interesting to know... When I was at Skoda getting my Fabia wiper parts I mentioned it was actually going on an LCR (just to watch the confused reaction) and got chatting about it. I made a throw-away comment about waiting for the coilpacks to fail and the doors to start leaking and he asked if I was going to get them done as part of a recall as Skoda issued one some time back and he assumed Seat would have done too?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
he asked if I was going to get them done as part of a recall as Skoda issued one some time back and he assumed Seat would have done too?

but there was no recall, just replacement when a dealer next saw the car.....

vosa can only instigate recalls when there's a sufficient safety risk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise