Ignition Live but wont turnover

toledoChris

Jul 20, 2004
Just had a bit of a scare with my Toledo. Start sequence all fine, open drivers door and fuel pump runs, turn key, everything goes live, fuel pump goes again and relevant lights go out, turn key to start the engine and nothing.......... apart from some more buzzing (im assuming that its the fuel pump).

You can call me a muppet as I had no breakdown cover (soon to be rectified!!!) so I was a bit lost at sea. I have no tools in the car so couldnt just disconnect the battery in the hope that something would reset but there is however a load of cables coming towards the engine from below the battery with a plug above them. Disconnected the plug and something clicked, plugged it back in, turned the key and the engine reluctantly fired.

What could it be that caused it?!?!?!? Oh and car is seemingly now fine (same as before).

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Could be a few things:

1) Sticking starter motor
2) Lack of current getting to the starter motor (due to poor cable earthing, knackered cabling / connections or weak battery)
3) Alternator brushes are worn so battery not being recharged and not enough delivering sufficient current to starter

Check battery voltage and current under load - when car is running switch all you lights / heaters / demisters on and see how badly this affects car running. If all seems well then get starter motor checked.

Battery at static should read over 12V, and running over 14V, no idea on current values.

tewy

hi toledochris im having exact same problem fuel pump on all dash live but no starter not even a click,which wires did u unplug ive looked just under battery toward the engine but cant seem to see any plugs.were they in a plastic housing??were they goig to a relay???anychance of a pic?any help would b appreciated my car is a 99 toledo v5
thanks chris

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
I have had something similar but turned out to be a dodgy connection in the steering column or ignition key barrel. In cold weather not a peep from the starter but everything else comes on. It used to work on 2nd or 3rd or 4th try. Got worried it was dodgy starter or solenoid and one day it would let me down.

Then one morning I got pissed off and twisted the key hard - starter turned!

Discovered that if I exert upward pressure on the key while turning, it starts first time every time! Dodgy electrical connection somewhere.

Amazing :blink:

toledoChris

Jul 20, 2004
Thanks for you help guys, it would seem im not the only one to suffer this sort of gremlin!

I checked my battery and all seems well, 12.6v sat and 14.4 (I think) running. Im sure that the V5 would be quite different from the 1.8 but another one that could be unplugged to reset everything would be return cable to the engine....

DSC_08801.jpg

The one I unplugged to get the thing going in the 1st place.
DSC_08811.jpg

The one that could be used also (the plug with silver clips).

Last edited:

tewy

thanks for the pics u were right totaly differant to the v5,so cant even c a plug that resembles that 1,ill just unplug the ones i can see hopefully thatll sort it,thanks for ur help anyways
chris