IHI VF34 Advice

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
OK so the original plan was to go Hybrid K03S (Turbo Dynamics MD445) with all the goodies (inc JBS tubular mani and water/meth injection) to reach a 280-290 BHP figure.

I've pretty much bought everything I need to do this conversion now (including the turbo) but the more I read the more I wonder if I'm better off going down the IHI road. It seems that the torque delivery on the Hybrids in the high 200's are entering rod bending territory and I'm drawing the line on uprated internals. However, if I ran a VF34 at 310BHP I believe I'd be fine?

As there seems to be one up for sale at the moment along with a manifold too, I'm just wondering what other parts I'd need on top of what I have now to fit this turbo.

Can I still use the BAM injectors and fuel pump?

As I've got an ATP 2.5" metal TIP I'm guessing I could just buy another silicone elbow to adjoin the IHI housing? This is assuming the housings are on the same side as the K0xs?

Other than this, if I sort a manifold out I guess all I need is an IHI DP and I'm all set?

Anything else that I've missed?

Cheers,

Rob

JJ_arosa

im in the same boat i have a k04 set up but was wanting k04 hybrid, got print outs now for 345lb's or torque lol any more and im goin to say bye bye mr con rod

so im thinking the same pal, ihi turbo set up that mean selling my k04 setup and buying new stuff or part ex my car for a ihi......

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
im in the same boat i have a k04 set up but was wanting k04 hybrid, got print outs now for 345lb's or torque lol any more and im goin to say bye bye mr con rod

so im thinking the same pal, ihi turbo set up that mean selling my k04 setup and buying new stuff or part ex my car for a ihi......

Seriously JJ its unlikely you really have 345lb/ft on your k04.

JJ_arosa

Seriously JJ its unlikely you really have 345lb/ft on your k04.

hope i dont, as id very much like to keep the car and get more power out of it without doin the internals, k04 hybrid as it wunt cost me that much as it uses same downpipe and so on.

ihi how much am i looking at to do ?

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
List of mods that I intend to run on my Hybrid setup (* denotes I have bought it already)

Snow Performance Water/Methanol Injection
Turbo Dynamics MD445 Hybrid K03S*
ATP 2.5" TIP*
3" MAF housing*
BAM Fuel pump*
BAM injectors*
4 bar FPR
JBS K03 Collected Tubular Manifold*
Blueflame full TB exhaust with 3" DP and 200 cell race cat*
Custom Forge FMIC with 2.5" mandrel bent pipework (replicating the AM setup)

I'm also looking at getting a Peloquin diff too

Essentially - how much effort is it if I change my plans now and go down the VF34 route - do I need many new parts?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
hope i dont, as id very much like to keep the car and get more power out of it without doin the internals, k04 hybrid as it wunt cost me that much as it uses same downpipe and so on.

ihi how much am i looking at to do ?

A hybrid k04 to get power near an IHI like 320bhp will still probably need rods because of the way it makes the power and will be being pushed so hard to get it. Reliability could also be an issue.

IHI wont be cheap. Better of pxing for that other one as I said. Going hybrid k04 or IHI will cost you more than that px deal you are talking about.

JJ_arosa

ye think i may take your advise mate, so a ihi running at 342 bhp on stock internals is safe and will be ok as everyday car ??

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
no expert but i think you need bigger injectors... possibly pump?

sounds like you may have your eye on a vf34, but if availible consider vf23, maxes out at 320bhp but slightly quicker spool up.

id speak to whomevers mapping her for you re parts list.

JJ_arosa

good :)

not many k04 hybrids around, thinkiong maybe its coz u gota change internals to be on safe side, as were a ihi you dont have to

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
List of mods that I intend to run on my Hybrid setup (* denotes I have bought it already)

Snow Performance Water/Methanol Injection
Turbo Dynamics MD445 Hybrid K03S*
ATP 2.5" TIP*
3" MAF housing*
BAM Fuel pump*
BAM injectors*
4 bar FPR
JBS K03 Collected Tubular Manifold*
Blueflame full TB exhaust with 3" DP and 200 cell race cat*
Custom Forge FMIC with 2.5" mandrel bent pipework (replicating the AM setup)

I'm also looking at getting a Peloquin diff too

Essentially - how much effort is it if I change my plans now and go down the VF34 route - do I need many new parts?

Water meth is a nicety but not needed.
ATP tip may be able to be used but not sure. If you have a ko3 silicone tip you can just use a silicone bend to replace the bottom half if you want.
Need bigger injectors than BAM.
$bar fpr will be mapper dependant.
JBS Tubular mani obviously cant be used as its not IHI flanged.
Need a new DP or could have the Blueflame one modified as its big enough to use.
As your Intercooler is custom it might be up to the job with IHI or it might not but with water meth should be ok.

You can use the 3inch maf, BAM fuel pump. Apart from that you need IHI turbo, IHI mani, Injectors, DP, possibly new tip.

Its a big change and would cost quite abit more. Id say be prepared to maybe think about getting your rods done and stick with your current plan. Defo get a diff but that not cheap either. Transforms the car when you have a nice amount of power to put down.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
ye think i may take your advise mate, so a ihi running at 342 bhp on stock internals is safe and will be ok as everyday car ??

Mine is used as a daily and fine. Dont get hung up on the figures because as long as they make the right boost and have nothing pulling them back they are all between 310bhp-340bhp in reality, any more and its a happy dyno tbh. IHI is a totally different drive to k0x turbos, hybrid or not and much more useable imo.

JJ_arosa

sdhame u live so far mate as i could of gone for a drive with you to sway me even more to ihi lol

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Cheers Pete - think you could be right about sticking to my original plan. I know a k0x will never hold power like an IHI but hope it still pulls hard to the redline which I guess as a hybrid it ought to do.

As you say I could probably get the flange changed on my DP but the TIP may be a gamble and with new injectors as well it's beginning to put me off. Toughie tbh...

The idea of running water/meth on my hybrid would be to run a 50:50 mix so I can try and squeeze a couple more ponies out through advanced timing, or at least that's the theory.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Cheers Pete - think you could be right about sticking to my original plan. I know a k0x will never hold power like an IHI but hope it still pulls hard to the redline which I guess as a hybrid it ought to do.

As you say I could probably get the flange changed on my DP but the TIP may be a gamble and with new injectors as well it's beginning to put me off. Toughie tbh...

The idea of running water/meth on my hybrid would be to run a 50:50 mix so I can try and squeeze a couple more ponies out through advanced timing, or at least that's the theory.

K0x drive is totally different to IHI but will cost you alot more to do. It will pull to the redline but dont know how hard.

Its not just aflange change on the DP it would need shape modifying as the outlet is at a different place. The way the hybrids run to get high bhp the water meth would help to keep the temps down which would be the point of it imo not to be able to push it further back up to those same temps for more power.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
sdhame u live so far mate as i could of gone for a drive with you to sway me even more to ihi lol

One drive and you will be hooked. Not letting people drive mine that come to view unless they have the money as a couple that have simply havent had enough money to buy after thinking they could haggle me down to a silly price.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise