I'm done. Snapped cambelt. - The start of the build!

L16YDW

Big Beefy Boy
Dec 1, 2014
Norfolk
Last 1.8t I have in with a broken belt managed to snap the valve heads of the stem and drive them into the cylinder head! Proper funked!
Bottom end should be fine unless you where hammering it, just source a good used 1.8t cylinder head, cheaper than paying over the odds for a full engine!

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
What do I do then ? The car cost me £3k to buy last year, I estimate I could break it for just shy of £2k or I fix it for anything over 2k, as the exhaust needed looking at anyway, and so does the gearbox, so they're fix's that would have to be done while I was in there. It's a real shame because it's a very good condition motor with a receipt for everything that's been done. Not a single major scratch or dint. I just feel like I should cut my losses.

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
All your choice of you love the car keep it and fix it up if you aren't really bothered and are more bothered by the money then break it and sell it for parts... It comes down to your love of the car and how deep your pockets are

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
I love the car, best car I've ever owned, so impressed with the way I drive. But I can't help but feel I'd be daft to sink money into it.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Id be looking to sell it as a complete engine
Its an APY bottom end with integrated engineering rifle drilled rods, new piston rings, calico coated bearings, new oil pump, chain and pickup pipe
Mated to a largeport AGU head

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Will it work as a replacement for the AMK , does the AMK have Vvt ?

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
In regards to the Vvt or VCT, it must require opening up the head and fitting the hydraulic cam tensioner ? It sounds like a bit of work just to fit something only used for emissions, is it possible just to ditch the VVT ? Can you talk figures to me ronin ? Message me if you'd rather. Also I'm guessing I'd need a different inlet manifold to suit the big port head

Last edited:

nigxl

Jan 12, 2013
Wales
Think if it was me and it was sitting on my drive I'd pull the head off and have a look just what was damaged. Won't cost you anything apart from a bit of time.
Then you can decide if you need to get a few valves and repair the head or take a chance and get a head from a breaker give it a good check over and fit it.

nigxl

Jan 12, 2013
Wales
You've got the advantage over many on here that would get recovered to a garage, then you can't touch it yourself.

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Been trying to quote up repairs a few different ways, a lot of garages don't seem to want to touch it ! Any body know of a good engine machine shop that I could go direct to, take the head off myself ?

nigxl

Jan 12, 2013
Wales
Why don't garages want to touch it?
They're getting paid to recover it and work on it.
Try a different garage or do it yourself if cost is an issue.

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
I've spoken to 5 of the garages around here I trust ( Bristol ) they all ummed and ahhed about it and said they'd get back to me. It's not a monetary issue in terms of being able to afford it, it's more a case of : it's just a car , is it worthwhile cutting my losses and buying another one. and I'm more than capable of doing the work myself, if it weren't for the fact I work away 6 days a week! I've just had one quote come back of £850 basing it on worst case head damage ( all 20 valves ) and no bottom end damage.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I havnt got round to PM'ing you yet but so you can roughly gauge the price, im looking for £850 for this forged one and i'll add the transition gasket too so you can run OE manifold

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
There's life in the old girl yet. I went out with tools to start stripping today, I can't do it, it's being fixed, booked in end of next month to have the head done, a new set of forged rods dropped in, new oil pump , new downpipe and decat, I'm gunna fit the welly cooler I have in the garage aswell, also, took manifold off today, started polishing it up, and sprayed the charge pipe in crackle black ! Can't see her die in pieces, one last shot. If it breaks down again, I won't strip it for parts, I'll set fire to it!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members