I'm done. Snapped cambelt. - The start of the build!

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Ahh I'm working on the Carrillion site, I've seen a black slammed Leon that I think is a derv and a silver LCR ?

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
It's update time! Don't have the pics available to upload! But.. Yesterday was D-day, spent the day with bill, getting the car mapped up and the WMI finalised. After a few issues with the water meth controller dumping boost, we wired out the boost safe, just to get some mapping done ! The results came in at

352bhp

Supported by 340ftlb of torque.

I decided a while back, that figure wise , I'd be happy if we hit 350bhp, so just pipped it!

All at about 25.8 psi of boost.

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
For those of you who follow.. Last night I dropped a valve. Devastation pics to follow!

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Unsure whether I've done an exhaust or intake valve, yet to inspect ! Head was reassembled with 8 new standard sodium filled ones. Will inspect damage, if just head, will look to super tech...

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
So... After dragging the car up to bills on the back of the pikey wagon today, we have the bad/good news! Head was off within 30 minutes of arriving, thanks to Bills hard working and dedicated trained team of Seals .

The good news is, the block will live to boost another day, the bad news is, as suspected, I've dropped an exhaust valve on number one, written off the head and piston on #1

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Damn. Just gone thru your thread and was happy to see you decided to repair the beauty, even make great mods and then this. I would be gutted.

I hope you repair it once again and that your luck with the car takes turn for the better.:yes:

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
So, a little update with some photos supplied by bill :)

New head skimmed and new valve guides

New piston installed, turbo back on after being sorted by AET

And the supertech valves ready to go !

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Not updated in a while! But the car was of course back together very swiftly , courtesy of Bill ! Failure was chalked up to poor product in the form of the new valves manufactured by BGA that were supplied at the point of rebuild, not even up to O.E spec. And considering this car runs lower EGTs than a standard car, then it's really, totally unacceptable that this crappy part failed! Car was reassembled with full supertech valves, and a new AET Turbo, of custom spec that was donated by Bill before he even got to do testing with it ! Turbo replacement had to happen due to the old one being useable because of some pretty bad manufacturing flaws.. Wasn't even the valve damage to the turbine that was the issue as such. Car is currently running actuator pressure, awaiting me fitting a clutch and getting the car back to bill for mapping again on new turbo :)

matt_83

Apr 24, 2016
York
Great commitment mate!! Just a quick question....what paint did you use exactly for the charge pipe and how has it been holding up with the hot temps?

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281896527522 That was the brand I used mate. It's still spot on mate! There is some paint flaking off on the bracket that holds the recirc pipe, but that's my fault as I bent the bracket out a bit further after painting. Can't believe how well it's held up considering minimal prep and no primer ( as per instructions )

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Great read over my morning coffee at work!

Mine, although a LC not a LCR, is currently off the road with the water pump impeller spinning on the shaft... as soon as that is fixed and the suspension changed I'll be looking to visit Bill for some mapping.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.