In Cabin Low Power Permanent 12V Source

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Have to admit I have not looked very hard to find one (Will do some digging at VAG nite tonight) I am trying to find an unswitched power supply I can pull some power from for my power adaptor. Having it behind the cigarette lighter is a switched supply and I am looking to find a permanent supply without having to plumb in a cable from the battery as others have done for their subs and the like.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a point in the cabin where I can pull such a power feed from?

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
For some reason my one in the front is not live. The power supply only turns on when the ignition is on. I will retest in case I am having a truly low IQ day, but am quite sure this is why I was looking for one.

saintsfanno1

Jan 24, 2008
Forgive me if I am about to look an a**e.

Ghost...you mention "Both your cigarette lighter sockets are live"

Is this a Leon? Have I missed the second socket guys?:confused:

Ghost

Nov 28, 2005
Hampshire
The second one is not a cigarette lighter as it does not have the removeable heater element, so it's just a power socket, The first in on the centre console next to the mirror adjustment switch and the second is on the back on the centre console just above the transmission tunnel for people in the back to use....unless the spec has now changed? Mine is an 06 Sport.

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
double checked this last night and my centre console point is on ignition not a permanent live. mine is a cupra with BT only. i have asked a friend to check the wiring diagrams where he works for some ideas, will let you all know if i find a place.

saintsfanno1

Jan 24, 2008
I have searched high and low in my57 Leon FR and I can't see a second socket.

I assume we are either talking at crossed purposes or I am blind :)

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
The power is required for this post where I have an adaptor that can provide 3.5A, with a fused live on the supplied adaptor at 5A.

I have a few gadgets that I want to power / charge (Might have a cheap IPOD solution using AUX in and bluetooth that allows Ipod control from a dongle {AVRCP & A2DP BT profiles on one device with 3.5mm adaptor} , will keep you guys advised) and powering everything is the last hurdle before I can implement it all.

***EDITED ***

Assuming the adaptor does not regulate power by stepping down voltage and throwing it away as heat and has some form of onboard voltage divider regulation then the most this will draw will be 2A @ 12V (Planning to run all devices on 5V) otherwise it will can be upto 4A since it will supply upto 3A on a common rail to a 4 port supply bank as OILOILER has, and another 500 mAh on a USB slot. FYI this slot has some data bus issues when using OE phone USB cables to this may have to have an adaptor to isolate the data pins on the USB connection before connecting devices.

Last edited:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
would using a permanent live be such a good idea?
what if you inadvertantly leave something charging and park up for a period of time?
at least youd be able to play your fully charged psp while you waited for the aa!

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
good points, i have already got that covered.

1) the 1 live connection will be switched after the fuse so i can turn the adaptor on or off at will. this will also be a llit switch so i can see if the adaptor is powered without having to look at it directly.

2) the adaptor mentioned has a low voltage cutoff function to prevent the battery discharging past 11v or something like that.

3) the car is run daily so if i see a low battery voltage on the adaptor display i wil have some warning beforehand to up the revs, to bring up the charge, not that you cannot find another excuse to bring up the revs once in a while :)

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
The second one is not a cigarette lighter as it does not have the removeable heater element, so it's just a power socket, The first in on the centre console next to the mirror adjustment switch and the second is on the back on the centre console just above the transmission tunnel for people in the back to use....unless the spec has now changed? Mine is an 06 Sport.
The original Mk2 Leons had 2 12V sockets - one next to the handbrake with a cigarette lighter element in it, and a second one rear-facing at the back of the transmission tunnel behind the handbrake for use by the back seat passenger. This was just a 12V socket with a cover.

At some point this got deleted from the spec and was replaced with a single 12V 'socket only' next to the handbrake. Those wanting an actual cigarette lighter had to order a 'smokers pack' (which also reinstated the now-deleted cup-with-a-lid ashtray).

My Dad's '06 plate reference has the former arrangement, and my '08 plate FR has the latter. Lots of '07 and '57 plate examples I have seen have the latter as well, so my guess is the deletion happened in the '56 plate era...

I believe the earlier models may have also had a 12V outlet in the boot as well - will have to check that though.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.