Info on running a cupra

Dealer1986

Nov 21, 2011
Alright geezers and ladies!

Iv recently started working for a seat dealership in Harrogate and need to get rid of my personal car.

I was thinking of getting a company car and buying another Scooby as a toy but now I'm thinking of just buying a Cupra as there mint.

My problem is the fuel consumption as I live a good 45 minutes away from work.

By the time iv paid for a Scoob and company car tax the Cupra will work out as roughly the same.

Is there anything to watch out for in Cupra ownership and what mpg could I expect on a steady/slightly fun combined drive?

Lastly what are they like for modding? What are the popular mods I.e turbo back exhausts, lowering springs / coilovers and remaps and are they expensive to tune?

Thanks.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I reckon an FR TDi would better suit you

Not quite as quick but still fast with 143PS, 6-speed manual and cheaper to run.

Dealer1986

Nov 21, 2011
Yeah the diesels are cool but I'm in a diesel now and desperately want to go back to petrol power.

What's average fuel consumption with 50/50 driving in the Cupra?

I can get one cheap through work and have it all services/mods fitted and stuff there as well as cheap tyres and stuff so I think I'll be fine running it so long as there not really crap on fuel.

Iv had 2 fiesta STs in past if there anything in comparison?

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
I'm averaging 34 mpg on a tank with say 50/50 driving. Will manage 340 miles ish on a tank of fuel.

Dealer1986

Nov 21, 2011
That's not bad, I was expecting around 250 miles to a tank.

I have a 185bhp Audi a4 2.0tdi at the moment and I reckon that'll cost me about the same to run as diesel is more at the pump and the Audi is an auto so
I'm only getting around 42mpg. Only problem would be long journeys.

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
If you are feeling like spirited driving, then yes you could probably manage about 250 miles. But then that would be pushing it. I find mine very comfortable tho.

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
I can get about 43mpg on a steady mway run and mixed about 36/37. Really good considering it really shifts when you press that go pedal!!

Dealer1986

Nov 21, 2011
Nice one lads that's exactly what I wanted to hear, we have one in at work just landed today, might see if I can take it out of I'm not too busy. Went out in an FR yesterday and was impressed with that but didn't get a chance to drive it properly. Sold it to a 52 year old women ha ha.

Apr 23, 2010
Here
You get about 300 miles per litre..........................of oil :rofl:

and about 1000 miles to 50 eml lights :whistle:

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
I was in harrogate today! Nidd Vale never have anything other than basic spec ones :( they had one cupra in 2008 as a demo which I test drove but it sold. Never seen one there since.

You work in sales or parts? If you don't mind me asking of course :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
i got 50mpg sat at 58 going to stafford once.

And i Averaged 32mpg sat at 80-130 going through germany.

Last edited:

G3K

3 points and counting...
Aug 14, 2010
Hatfield, Herts
I drove half way round the M25 yesterday with a three stops for work and managed an average of just over 40mpg. Not much fun driving slow but it certainly gets good mpg if you do

Dealer1986

Nov 21, 2011
I was in harrogate today! Nidd Vale never have anything other than basic spec ones :( they had one cupra in 2008 as a demo which I test drove but it sold. Never seen one there since.

You work in sales or parts? If you don't mind me asking of course :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I work in Sales, only been here since November, I know what you mean about having the stock, we do have it just not masses of the good stuff as the base models seem to fly out of the showroom for some reason. We can get anything though, we have a 10 plate Cupra in now.

It seems like people are getting pretty good economy from there Cupras which pleases me as i might finally get back into a car thats fun to drive.

Is there a specific garage/website where people buy there mods from?

AMD maybe?

Thanks for all your input so far guys.