Info

nickbrown_500

Dec 6, 2009
Nottingham
Im currently driving a mazda 3 MPS, due to the mile's i do it is becoming quite expensive to run, so im looking to change to a diesel,

I was thinking of the leon FR 2.0tdi,
and getting it chipped straight away,

Is there anything to look out for when looking around for one.
is there any major differences between the 2.0tdi specs.

From looking they all have the same 170bhp engine, and u can either get ones with the bodykit or not

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Good choice to go for the FR TDI, although I personally feel the engine in the pre-facelift model feels a lot stronger, I.E pulls the car stronger if you get me. My mum has the new VW Scirocco with the new Common Rail engine in and it doesn't feel as quicker even though it's a lighter car. But on the plus side, facelift models have nice new touches inside and out :)

You'll be pleased either way you go buddy :)

Danny.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Im currently driving a mazda 3 MPS, due to the mile's i do it is becoming quite expensive to run, so im looking to change to a diesel,

I was thinking of the leon FR 2.0tdi,
and getting it chipped straight away,

Is there anything to look out for when looking around for one.
is there any major differences between the 2.0tdi specs.

From looking they all have the same 170bhp engine, and u can either get ones with the bodykit or not
Make sure it as FULL service book, and if near end of warranty get it checked out and give a list to the stealers. Mpg is around 34 @ 4.5k rpm! and the best is 42mpg on mine [this is using tank to tank top up, NOT what the dash board tells you!!] check the rear tyres inside edge for uneven wear, it may need re alignment. DPF sensor failures are normally covered under warranty too. Hope this helps

nickbrown_500

Dec 6, 2009
Nottingham
what is the DPF, sorry to sound stupid new to diesels and seat

was going to look for one with the kit hoping to swap my car for one after xmas

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
thb im not entirely sure myself just see the odd thread regarding it, you might be best doing a search on it. I think its something in the exhaust that if you push the car to hard it goes into limp mode and you have to wait for the dpf to regenerate.

You can get a dpf delete exhaust and remap.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
The DPF is the diesel particulate filter which is only fitted to the FR TDi.

It does a good job of keeping the soot in your exhaust to a minimum by trapping the gunk and then periodically burning it off at high temperatures.

It works at its best if you run your car for long drives at high revs. Constant stop start traffic is a no-no, as it means the DPF cleaning cycle doesn't get a chance to kick in, leaving you with a clogged up DPF which can eventually only be sorted by a dealer.

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
Make sure it as FULL service book, and if near end of warranty get it checked out and give a list to the stealers. Mpg is around 34 @ 4.5k rpm! and the best is 42mpg on mine [this is using tank to tank top up, NOT what the dash board tells you!!] check the rear tyres inside edge for uneven wear, it may need re alignment. DPF sensor failures are normally covered under warranty too. Hope this helps

34 mpg??!! That's shocking... Is this normal for a 170?

That MPS should return about 28 for mixed driving so not much saving there.

Thought you were supposed to get 45 - 50

eltawater

May 1, 2008
It depends entirely on the type of journey you do.
I've managed 52mpg before around the cotswolds with two people on board.

It's never going to be up there with the 55mpg which you can get out of a 520d, but it's still pretty easy for me to achieve 43mpg on my daily commute of 25 miles each way.

Remember that the FR TDi is a performance beast, if you want out and out fuel economy then this is not the car for you. However, if you fancy something with a bit of a kick but without the intimacy that cupra owners have with their petrol attendants, it's perfect.

eltawater

May 1, 2008
Remember that 34mpg @ 4.5k rpm is redlining the engine, it's never going to win any economy awards at this point ;)

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
It depends entirely on the type of journey you do.
I've managed 52mpg before around the cotswolds with two people on board.

it's still pretty easy for me to achieve 43mpg on my daily commute of 25 miles each way.

That sounds more reasonable!

Remember that the FR TDi is a performance beast, if you want out and out fuel economy then this is not the car for you. However, if you fancy something with a bit of a kick but without the intimacy that cupra owners have with their petrol attendants, it's perfect.

Whoa, hang on there. What kind of mileage do people average on the petrol Cupra?

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
In my cupra I am getting anything between 25 nad 32 mpg a week, but it all depends on what type of driving (eg stop start, sitting in traffic etc) and / or getting heavy with the right foot. None of mine is motorway just A & B roads.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
34 mpg??!! That's shocking... Is this normal for a 170?

That MPS should return about 28 for mixed driving so not much saving there.

Thought you were supposed to get 45 - 50
4.5 =RED LINE, WHICH is still more economical than a petrol engine and you will never get a TRUE 50 mpg best I ever achived was 45 @ 55mph [Seat and no doubt other manufactures have the a/c off and any other other power drain off when doing these fuel consumption tests]

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
4.5 =RED LINE, WHICH is still more economical than a petrol engine and you will never get a TRUE 50 mpg best I ever achived was 45 @ 55mph [Seat and no doubt other manufactures have the a/c off and any other other power drain off when doing these fuel consumption tests]

That won't be right then. At full chat you'll be getting single figure mpg in the TD.

I assume that the 34mpg simply represents the kind of mileage you get with 'spirited' driving, which as you say is better than the petrol. 25mpg vs 34mpg is a 36% increase in economy for the oil burner - of course the fuel is 3% more expensive and servicing is more expensive, but that still represents a fair saving!