Inlet manifold, gasket replacement

Eamonn

Hi. I'm looking for some ideas of costs from you guys. I have a 2002 Leon Cupra 180 with a stage 1 remap taking the brake up to 210. I left my car in for service today with a highly recommended, independent mechanic near my area in Dublin.

The car has had the Engine Diagnostic warning light on for the last few weeks and it was running roughly at idle. Driving it was fine however I was keen to get the problem fixed ASAP.

The mechanic just called me to say that there are over 20 errors logged to the computer! That EVERY cylinder was misfiring and that the inlet manifold and gasket needs to be replaced. I asked if he had an idea on costs but as he needs to order in parts he couldn't tell me just now.

Has anyone had similar work done on their Mrk1 Cupras? If so how much was the cost. I know a lot of it will be labour charges but I'm anxious to have an idea of the final bill. Am I looking at serveral hundred or well over a grand?

Eamonn

Hi Kez,
To be honest I'm not sure if the manifold needs to be replaced or rapaired. The gasket needs replacement though for sure. A lot of the errors would be byproducts from this problem such as the Oxygen sensor, excessive exhaust pollution etc.

As I'm in Ireland all these parts need to be ordered in. I have confidence in the mechanice doing the job I'm just worried about the final bill.

Eamonn

Yeah cheers guys. I'll be in touch when I have the list of errors.

Eamonn

I'll find out the full story today when I meet him. I'll let you know.

Cheers lads

Eamonn

I just heard back from the mechanic and the damage isn't as bad as first feared. The Inlet Manifold gasket needs replacing alright but the part is only about 60 Euro's. Mechanic reckon's it'll take 2 to 3 hours to fix and then work through the remaining errors logged to the computer

Every cylinder is showing a misfire but he thinks that thats just the computer trying to compinsate for the leak in the manifold. So fingers crossed that they'll correct themselves once the gasket is replaced. Hopefully :think:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.