Installing Fan washers

Jamie7

Oct 5, 2011
Cornwall
I just put fans on mine. It did have heated ones however I didn't know and bought the non heated ones. But they still work with no fault codes. I can't really tell the difference between heated and non heated in term of cleaning the screen to be honest!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Omi

Oct 26, 2018
Without exaggerating, literally under 2 mins start to finish, with bare hands, at -2 outside.

Went back later with a tool to adjust up slightly.

Anyone else find the jets take a little longer to ‘fire’ than the pistols? Like it takes a half second for pressure to build at first?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I just put fans on mine. It did have heated ones however I didn't know and bought the non heated ones. But they still work with no fault codes. I can't really tell the difference between heated and non heated in term of cleaning the screen to be honest!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
It's to stop them freezing so you can use in the cold weather, then again there is nothing to stop the pipes freezing (unless you have the correct concentration of screen wash) or the water when its hits the windscreen!

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Without exaggerating, literally under 2 mins start to finish, with bare hands, at -2 outside.

Went back later with a tool to adjust up slightly.

Anyone else find the jets take a little longer to ‘fire’ than the pistols? Like it takes a half second for pressure to build at first?

Yes i thought so and then found it syphons out under the bonnent where the old pistol types didn't. It's like they let more air in or have less of a one way valve, where maybe the VWs and Audis do....who knows. Mine went back and swapped back to pistols, then I got some cheap fan china knock off ones from Ebay and they seem better. Go figure!

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
aftyer fitting my fan washers i've had to adjust them fully up and still the water jet is hits the windscreen wiper arms. I can't remember if the pistols types did the same but I don't think so.

Maybe a reason why the Leon doesn't have the fan type fitted?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
aftyer fitting my fan washers i've had to adjust them fully up and still the water jet is hits the windscreen wiper arms. I can't remember if the pistols types did the same but I don't think so.

If you look back through the posts you will see we all had to move the fan type quite a way up on the out-the-packet setting.

All to do with the angle of the bonnet vs windscreen of the different VAG cars. If you are on full adjustment and still too low something is not right. Assuming you have gone the correct way...(you can see it move as you turn the adjuster)

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013

Yip fully up is the only way that suits the leon but it should be enough to cover the whole windscreen when at a standstill. Also did you buy genuine vag ones or the cheap Chinese replicas? This also makes a difference.

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
Yip fully up is the only way that suits the leon but it should be enough to cover the whole windscreen when at a standstill. Also did you buy genuine vag ones or the cheap Chinese replicas? This also makes a difference.
They’re genuine VAG ones bought from a breaker. They came off a Touran I believe. I might just be being paranoid

Reactions: Copra68

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
If you look back through the posts you will see we all had to move the fan type quite a way up on the out-the-packet setting.

All to do with the angle of the bonnet vs windscreen of the different VAG cars. If you are on full adjustment and still too low something is not right. Assuming you have gone the correct way...(you can see it move as you turn the adjuster)

I noticed others commented on fully adjusted up on theirs which is the same as I have had to do. I think I was just confusing myself as the wipers were getting sprayed on when they were adjusted lower and then even when adjusted up the jet will hit the wipers once they start moving so probably turned into mind tricks. Will check again in the am with a fresh head...

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I noticed others commented on fully adjusted up on theirs which is the same as I have had to do. I think I was just confusing myself as the wipers were getting sprayed on when they were adjusted lower and then even when adjusted up the jet will hit the wipers once they start moving so probably turned into mind tricks. Will check again in the am with a fresh head...
As long as the whole w/screen gets a soak at a standstill convince yourself that your happy with it lol

Reactions: Rif

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Just a tip, but if you want genuine ones best to get them from a dealer or a proper parts factor.

I bought on eBay from a U.K. private seller at the higher end of the price range who clearly stated they were genuine...they were NOT!

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I bought some cheap ones off eBay (£7) and they didn't fit.
So bought some genuine ones from Listers for £20.

onkkel

Jul 12, 2018
Finland
I've been looking to do this mod for a while now. The factory fitted pistol jets spray all over the place and the washer fluid consumption has been way too high with them. It's either this or I have a leak somewhere in the washer system...

Got a decent price for a pair of brand new genuine heated ones from a friend working at a VW dealership and will pick them up today. Have very high hopes for these!

onkkel

Jul 12, 2018
Finland
Super easy to fit these, literally took me 3 minutes to replace both of them thanks to the tips provided in this thread. I followed the recommendation to adjust them to the highest setting before fitment and the spray is spot on.

Super happy and 100% worth it!

Reactions: kevster184

Jabtas

Aug 28, 2017
Anyone got a link recent link ?
Got some off ebay but were just a single pistol jet, not as described so got a refund