Instrument Cluster Illumination Issue

Oct 25, 2020
Hi all,
I picked up a 2011 Leon FR+ TSI (35k miles and one owner from new!!!!) back in June and fortunately haven't had a need to post on this forum. Absolutely fantastic car that pulls as if it was a diesel and has scared me a few times, with my only real drivability gripe being the sporty suspension which is a little too harsh for England's *quality* roads.

Today I noticed that the backlight for the Speedo dial seems to have gone. When the ignition is on with the headlights/auto lights on the Speedo guage backlight is completely dead while the rev counter and the fuel/temp are lit up, with the engine started the Speedo lights up but dimly compared to the rev counter and fuel guage. There is no patchiness in the illumination when it's on dimly (and likewise when the ignition is on the entire backlight is dead with no illuminated sections), and if the cluster is like any other I'm assuming it is illuminated by a bunch of SMD LEDs, can someone confirm? With this being said, if it was a dead bulb I would expect the guage to be partially illuminated, and a dead led wouldn't explain why it doesn't light up at all with the ignition on but then works albeit dimly with the engine running. I should point out that the needles and warning lights illuminate as expected, and the backlight dimmer works across all gauges with the Speedo simply being much dimmer than the other two. For this reason I'm wondering if it's a software error or glitch - has anyone experienced something similar to what I'm describing? The only 'mod' I've done is coding the needle sweep on startup, but I've had this on for months without issue and the lighting problem seems to have only recently cropped up. Presumably it couldn't be something as silly as a fuse considering that it would probably cover the entire cluster, but I only wondered since I had the fusebox cover off to move my dashcam last week.

I can replace/rework the LEDs if required, but I can only imagine it's a pain to get to the instrument cluster so this is something I am hoping to avoid if possible, especially considering the LEDs appear to be fine.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.