Intake Flap Valve Faulty?

davyrob

Hi

I've currently got the engine management light up on my seat altea tdi sport ( BKD engine). Registered fault is the inlet flap valve.
Been to the Garage a couple of times and still haven't found the fault.

Initially it was blowing a fuse which cleared on the first visit to garage by removing electrical plugs and cleaning them etc. But fault came back on in no time.

Then a replacement intake flap valve has been tried. Initially it was a good used one then more recently a new one has been tried. Both with the same result in that the same fault comes back up.

As it stands it's looking more like a wiring proble? Anyone had the same problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave:help:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
if its had a new one i'd check that the fuse hasnt blown again and that they've put the fuse back in the right place.

Its a 10amp one in the fuse box in the engine bay, it sits to the right of the fuse box in the middle, above a relay.

Make sure they havent damaged the wire messing with it.

the fault would be something along the lines of:

Intake manifold flap open circuit

or

Intake manifold flap short circuit

or

Intake manifold flap stuck

etc

i've never seen a wiring fault with them but i've replaced lots of those flaps and also found lots of blown fuses.

its basiclly an electronic Anti Shudder Valve or ASV which serves to cut the air supply in order to create a smooth shut-down of the engine when the ignition is turned off.

Brazzer71

Hello Dave

my car has the same faulty intake flap, and ive been running the car for about 4 months now with it unplugged with no problems appart from the orange glow on the dash.

when the fault occurred the faults i got were intake flap short and cooling fan 1 short, apparantley the two systems use the same control supply. (cooling fan 1 is ok)

anyway today i thought i'd strip down the intake flap, so i removed it and took of the crimped on cover over the electrics only to find it completley full of engine oil, no wonder it shorted out. i also found teeth missing of the plastic gears and the electronic components had fallen apart.

this all confirms i need to fit a new flap, but before i do i think i will fit some sort of catch can on the breather to try and reduce the amount of oil flowing through there, i don't know if the oil is a gradual build up over 68k miles or has just happened recently.

How long did your replacement flap last? i'm reluctant to fit one at the price and find it doesn't last long because of the oil problem. You could get your garage to open up your faulty flap and see if there is oil in there.

good luck, i'll let you know how i get on.

VR6Pete

Hello there, first post and all that, found this thread via google after looking at my brother in law's altea, VAG COM shows 9557 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Open or Short to Ground and looked at the motor, covered in oil like this...

so, couple of questions... how much was the part? was it easy enough to replace? and has the fault now gone away?

cheers

Pete

Brazzer71

Hi

I still hav'nt replaced my intake flap yet, have been running it now for at least 12 months with the thing unplugged - the car runs fine no actual problems apart from the orange glow on the dash.

some one on here suggested a place called murrays to get a replacement for about £200, and it is quite easy to fit, you can find them on tinternet.

Rosscop2402

Mar 17, 2011
stirling
I changed this the other week, it takes 10 mins. Easy job. The sealed unit is a sealed unit because it has oil inside. It's meant to have it there for lubrication of the cogs. I had teath missing on mine aswell. Mine was 200 inc vat from a factors. Seat want 278 plus vat.

Having just replaced it I can also say my mot is much better aswell, however I may have just written off my car at the weekend which is not so nice:cry:

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Just to follow this up I had an EGR code and also the intake flap codes. Checked the fuse box in the engine bay and F24 was blown on putting it back in had a grindy whirring noise which would tally in with the posters above comments. If you don't have the noise check for the F24 fuse.

Got a second hand one coming to tide me over as I'm doing the suspension and brakes this month, hopefully that will sort it but will keep you posted!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.