Intercooler Hard pipes

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
Ok so last piece of puzzle needed to fit intercooler and then remap.

So does anyone know what size and angles of hard pipe i would need to go from the charge pipe down to the intercooler and from intercooler to inlet manifold?

Was gonna look at silicone but feel that if i do it and evenntually decide to change to hard pipe that there is no point doing it twice. Would attempt to get size's myself but currently offshore and want the pipes to be in a box at mine so can get straight into it when i get home.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark :blink:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Mark, if your looking to do the full system in pipe I'd be very interested in these sizes also.
Another thing with doing it all in alloy you might as well change the MAP sensor mounting point too.
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=190202&product=FMMAPT
For angles and lengths see this link. Click on the fitting guide for details on how to.
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=190202INT&product=FMINTLCR

As the MAP pipe is 63mm, this would be a good starting size.
What FMIC do you have?
What are the outlet sizes?
Might aswell look into a good air supply for you induction too

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
Got a big Green cotton cone filter fitted now and when i move the battery to boot will move cone closer to front.

The intercooler is same as nev off ebay so sure its 2.5" if im correct. Will obviously need to connect the pipes with a silicone connector but dont want to use hoses for the whole lot.

U got your exhuast yet willie by the way?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Got a big Green cotton cone filter fitted now and when i move the battery to boot will move cone closer to front.

The intercooler is same as nev off ebay so sure its 2.5" if im correct. Will obviously need to connect the pipes with a silicone connector but dont want to use hoses for the whole lot.

U got your exhuast yet willie by the way?

Na, still saving up for it.
Hopefully the end of next month.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
It's a good price if it were a good kit.
This will be a PITA, as there isn't any ribs on the end of these pipes the hoses will continually pop off. There are glues to make ribs but these ribs are VERY important

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
Yeah I read can apply chemical metal round the ends to create a lip so that they dont pop off under boost, dont imagine that it would be too difficult and for the money prob worth a go.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I bought that hose kit - the connectors that come with it are RUBBER not SILICON....at any decent boost pressure these simply pop! I ended up buying a load of silicon joints from forge! I tried the metal putty robdon advised and it didn't seem to set very well; so I gave up an got the welder out and welded beads on all the pipe ends :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I know what Rob has said about the chemical ribs but I wouldn't do this. Leaves too much risk to bits falling off and getting shot into the intake.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I think I saw somewhere that you can hire mandrel bender's from most hire shop's, If you can get the pipe's you could make your own.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I think I saw somewhere that you can hire mandrel bender's from most hire shop's, If you can get the pipe's you could make your own.
I read this too.
I'd be keen to do this as have done quite a bit of pipe bending in my time. Normally instrument pipe so this would be a breeze.
Think I'll look into the supply of pipe and bender etc

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
Ill do you a deal willie ill go half's with you on the cost of pipes and the hire of the machine and you could do them both ;). May also supply the beers seing as im due you one anyway :rolleyes:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I've just looked at costs of this.
Depending on how much I can get pipe, bender and ribbing machine it MIGHT be worth it.
Perhaps if others were interested in this too it might be more worth it;)
I'll take a look at my routing to see what can be done but realistically this would be a winter thing for me, like December time.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I bought that hose kit - the connectors that come with it are RUBBER not SILICON....at any decent boost pressure these simply pop! I ended up buying a load of silicon joints from forge! I tried the metal putty robdon advised and it didn't seem to set very well; so I gave up an got the welder out and welded beads on all the pipe ends :)

Same here I bought a piping kit then realised all the couplers and reducers are rubber and spent a fortune replacing with 5ply 5mm silicon....if its worth doing its worth doing right as they say :D

Milliput putty is good stuff to make a bead from.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise