Is Cruise Control Economical?

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
I know this is going to sound pretty obvious but:

Check your tyre pressures are correct (think it should be 29psi for fronts & 32 psi on rears)

and

Check your wheel alignment is correct

if either are out, this makes hell of a difference to your MPG as your tyres are not rolling as efficiently as they should....

check tyre pressures weekly & have your wheel alignment checked every 6 months.

David, when was the last time you checked either?

I had my wheel alignment done 6 months ago it was way out and my car had eaten a set of front tyres to the point they were bald on inside edge & had 5mm left on outside edge. It was stepped wear, so had it done & got 2 new tyres.
Had wheel alignment checked again this week in addition to my MOT & it was out, again, both front & rear. So had to be adjusted again on the 4 wheel hunter machine.

Car feels a whole lot better now & retuns slightly better MPG than it did before the MOT :)

I check my tyre pressures prior to any long journey (along with lights & levels checks).

Wasn't aware of the wheel alignment issue however, thanks for the head up mate. I'll check my tyres in the morning.

Does anyone know what mpg a PD170 Leon should return on a long journey?

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Here is the wheel alignment printout from yesterday, both before & after are shown, the red indicates where it was out.
sorry for the picture quality, it was taken on the phone

picture.php

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Does anyone know what mpg a PD170 Leon should return on a long journey?

When I had a PD170 I managed to scrape an indicated 50MPG on a long run (400 miles or so) a few times. I seem to remember that an indicated 50MPG is about as good as it gets on a PD170.

600 miles to a tank is another goal for PD170 owners too.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.