Is it time to get rid??? :(

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Morning All...
Well after yesterdays post i decided to go and get the MOT done, to which the car passed.
However when i pulled off the drive in the morning i noticed a puddle of oil again...

Its come to my attention over the past few weeks that the car now likes drinking water as well as oil.. (although i am not sure if its related or not).

I have had to fill up the coolant 3 times in as many weeks and now i also have my oily leak back down near the IC...

Is it time to get rid? or do i have one last self attempt shot at fixing this? As I really cant afford for much else to go wrong with this car...

Cheers
Chris

lukester85

im no expert but i had this happen on my old fiesta, turned out to be the head gasket, and head gasket gone = expensive!

look where you put the oil in, if its all milky inside then its fairly certain its time to say bye bye!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The oil leak down by the intercooler is a leaking intercooler connection allowing the ever present oil to escape. If you take the intercooler off on any turbo diesel you'll doubtless find oil in them. Your problem is a leaking seal on the pipe - intercooler joint.

As for the water leak, dunno on that score mate. It'll be a search, possibly starting with the radiator, then moving on to the water pump.

my guess is the oil is from the Engine breather pipe going into your intake. you'd need to proably flush the FMIC out to get the rest of the oil out then throw in an Oil Catch Can to stop this from happening again.

as to the Water, this could be a number of things. you'd need to get looking at all coolant pipes and the radiator closely for signs of any leaks.

is there any water in the Oil or Oil in the Coolant? this is usualy a sign the Head Gasket is going. problem is getting someone who knows what to look for without ripping you off.

BKD engines are known for Head Gaskets apparently (Devonmikeyboy I think had mentioned this before) my mates Leon TDI Sport also had a new head recently.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
any more on your car mate, haven't heard you lately

been really really busy recently!
no news, going to a freinds garage on saturday to get it up on the lift and have a good look at whats going on.

I am getting about 5-10cm diameter puddle of oil on the drive every morning now...

really worrid that its the turbo so been lookin at alternatives just incase... do fancy an XL 170hp but also want the DSG and the really nice seats like in my current sport...

only other cars i had been looking at was the passat (new shape) as you can pick them up for about 7k and also the A4... but they are expensive for what you get...

kerry3113

I have had the leaking water problem for a long time now and my car is forever in the garage. I have already had a new radiator thinking it was that, but nope. It's booked in 2 weeks today for a new water pump and cam hoping that will cure the problem. I leave big pubbles everywhere too :(

Hope you get it sorted and on the cheap!

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
I have had the leaking water problem for a long time now and my car is forever in the garage. I have already had a new radiator thinking it was that, but nope. It's booked in 2 weeks today for a new water pump and cam hoping that will cure the problem. I leave big pubbles everywhere too :(

Hope you get it sorted and on the cheap!

What engine is your Altea?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.