Is my car Dying?

GAL

this has only happened a few times recently but the engine has been cutting out sometimes when im turning a corner and take my foot of the aceleration the engine cuts out and then the power steering goes which is pretty dangerous.

this morning however the car was pretty cold and it just would not tick over unless I kept apply revs when stationary. it was hanging below the 500 revs mark and cutting out. got a little better when the car warmed up but was still unpredictable.

any ideas?

Jib

May 22, 2007
Doncaster, South Yorks
Give your throttle body a clean with some carb cleaner.

If worse comes to the worse, you may have to get it VAGCOM'd to see if its thown up any erros.

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
sounds like throttle body sticking shut ;)

take the inlet pipe off it, and give it a good clean out with carb cleaner as suggested, also get an old toothbrush in there, open the butterfly valve by getting someone to press the accelerator peddle, and clean as far in as you can reach ;)

hope that helps :D

GAL

thanks, ill give your suggestions a blast tonight. I'll let you know how I get on

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
Mine same as everyone says throttle body clean but i haven't gor around to even spraying mine yet,oops! but then that's probably cos shoving redex through the tank has improved it massively,try that but still do throttle body,won't do it any harm either way...

GAL

Ok, so Ive had a good look at it tonight and when I turn the electrics on (just electrics) the throttle body starts clicking.

my mechanic friend says the electric box has gone on the back of the throttle body and suggests trying to get another throttle body with the electric box already attached.

does this sound about right, will cleaning it be a waste of time? and how much will one of these little bad boys set me back?

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
the clicking is likely to be the 'stepper motor' inside the throttle body trying to open the butterfly valve, but because it's likely to be gunked up, it can't.....

I'd still try giving it a clean first ;)

a 2nd hand one is probably going to cost you £40-50, and a new one about double that......

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Ok, so Ive had a good look at it tonight and when I turn the electrics on (just electrics) the throttle body starts clicking.

my mechanic friend says the electric box has gone on the back of the throttle body and suggests trying to get another throttle body with the electric box already attached.

does this sound about right, will cleaning it be a waste of time? and how much will one of these little bad boys set me back?

I had the same problem. Tried cleaning throttle body a couple of times but it still didn't cure the problem so replaced it and presto.

P.S mine was making the 'ticking' sound too.

ronnie35

Mar 29, 2006
Aberystwyth
I cant see it being the throttle body if the engine is cutting out, like someone else suggested id be more inclined to think its idle control valve or possibly temp sensor?

And id say the clicking would be coming from the idle control valve thats normal tho..is there really a stepper motor on the throttle body?..thought not!

GAL

Just to update. I gave the throttle body a good clean and it worked like a charm. had to really get in there with the tootbrush and give it a good scrub on the joints. didnt think it was going to work when I first took the pipe off as there was'nt really any gunk in there. but gave it a good ten mins with the toothbrush turned the electrics on and it gave a few clicks. put the pipe back on and started her back up and she was purring like a cat.

no more clicks no more cut outs and back to a 1000 revs, thanks for the advice

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members