Is my clutch going?

Londoner

Hi all, newbie here with a possible clutch problem in my Cordoba.

The clutch pedal has always been stiff but I've gotten used to it over the years. Now though, I've noticed the gearstick is having trouble finding 1st and 2nd, regardless of how far i push the clutch pedal. Lifting the clutch into neutral in between changing seems to help, but it never used to be like this. Mileage is 30K approx.

Got an annual service coming up but I don't want to say to them 'Can you check the clutch?' without an idea of what the problem is (as they'll probably suggest a new clutch regardless!)

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

nick9one1

Feb 14, 2010
Grimsby
sounds more like the synchromesh to me, although I don't know enough about gearbox's to say that for sure.

What your doing by releasing the clutch between shifts is 'double de-clutching' you used to have to do this on old cars before synchromesh was used.

Last edited:

Londoner

could be clutch cable mate if the peddle is stiff nice easy cheap fix if so :D

Thanks. I'm hoping it is just the cable. Can that cause gear changing to be more difficult, not just stiffness in the peddle?

envycordoba

Jan 25, 2008
bournemouth
the stiffness in gears could be gear linkage cables mate. a clutch going would cause gears to grind in etc. i'd say its the cables not the clutch

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
cable gone stiff and bent/snapped pedal box is most likely - look up pedal box for pics/checks

Londoner

One thing I've never understood is how can a cable go stiff? You'd think that it would be stiff at the start, and then get slack as you break it in. Why does it go the other way round?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members