is premium petrol worth putting in my 1.6?

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
Iv been putting V-power or the equivilant premium petrol into my 1.6 Leon since the day i got it a month or so back, but the other day i saw on the inside of the flip out cap it says 91/95 i m guessing this refferes to the octane of petrol does this mean i shouldnt put it in? I do feel like im getting pretty poor fuel efficancy 290miles to £53 (premium) fuel.... i thought your suppossed to get further on premium though? also i hear it sorta cleans you enhgine up a bit and keeps it cleaner.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If your planning on keeping it for that short a time try banking the difference in litre prices every time you fill up to allow you to make an upgrade and just fill up with the cheapest petrol you can find

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Better in the long term, slightly better day to day.
But TBH it more there for turbo'd modern engines to get the best out of there potential power and instant acceleration.
If I was you I'd save all the cash I could, if your planning on upgrading your car you'll benefit more from the savings then than putting it up in smoke now in a non turbo'd car

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
For that short a time the difference it will make to your engine won't be noticeable. You *might* get very slightly better performance or mileage with it but again it'll be a very minimal difference, if you even notice it at all. It's not going to affect the resale value of your car either so it's money down the drain I'm afraid.

I reckon Willie is right, you'd be better off filling with cheap, regular 95-Ron petrol (Sainsbury or Shell regular unleaded usually cheapest I find) and stash the couple of quid or so difference it would have been for Super or V-Power away. You'll be in a better position to upgrade that little bit sooner than if you keep feeding your current car expensive petrol.

EDIT - you're sharp on the keyboard this morning Willie, beat me to it :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I don't reckon I do, personally, I have a mk1 LCR 225 and still average about 25mpg. When I got the car that was what the trip computer said at that point and it's stayed about the same ever since.

If you want to make a difference on your fuel economy look at your driving style - drive in the highest gear you can, don't accelerate sharply if you don't have to, in fact don't drive at all if you don't really have to.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
do you get more miles out of premium? enough that it ways out the cost cos there isnt much differece

You do if your ECU is mapped to run on 98RON fuel. The 1.6 isn't so you're wasting your money. I agree with Willie, bank the difference in price and put it toward your next car.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
You won't be doing the car any damage I wouldn't have thought, it's just that your car isn't able to take advantage of the benefits of that stuff over regular.

Deleted member 48395

On a side note, what kind of driving do you do? >300 miles off a 1.6 tank seems a tad low.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Exactly what I ment, this car is obvioulsy thrashed hard.
Fuel economy will change little for the increase in fueling costs.

What he needs to do is save up for a faster car, we've all been there too.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
Thats the thing i dont think i trash it that much. it does have an air filter on it (pipercross i think) and an exhaust (think just a back box) these were both on when i bought it, think the filter needs a clean, but i dont know if any of these r reasons fo rmy poor MPG.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
POOR MPG!!!

As said we can get that MPG in LCR's

You have either one heavy foot or a sick car

My mates got a 1.6 and it does alot of MPG

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members