Is stage 1 worth it?

Feb 8, 2021
Tomorrow I am collecting my 68 plate FR 2.0 TSI 190. It has 12 months left on it's manufacturers warranty.

It's my first Seat in the history of me purchasing cars and I'm quite looking forward to it.

I've made some enquiries about getting it remapped and its been suggested I could gain 250bhp from it, the question is, is it worth it? Will I really feel a difference?

It would be good to hear from those with the same model but equally anyone who's had one remapped before and what the general advice is. Also, would you wait until the manufactures warranty has expired?

Sorry for all the questions, look forward to hearing the general consensus.

JB

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
I would be sceptical, to put it politely, that a 30% power increase is possible from just a remap on this engine, fitted with an OPF.

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
Give Mark Brown at VAG Manchester/Progessive Parts a call.
We had the same engine in our Leon. Its a de-tuned Golf GTi engine with the IS20 turbo.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
I think it has the same turbo as the outgoing 1.8 tsi 180 bhp is12 turbo, as it remaps to the same figures as my 1.8 tsi (253 hp and 375nm) when remapped. Defo take to a reputable vag tuner not just a one man band or back garage job. The remap makes a massive difference the car felt so slugish stock its really held back by timing and boost etc.

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
Hi Adam

VW group use this engine in many applications including Golf GTi and also the Leon, Arteon and some Audi A4s. All have different levels of tune.

APR are a solid reputable product. I’ve never used them personally, but AndrewJB one of the supporters of this forum has loads of praise for them. It’s a good option. However I heard they are withdrawing from the mapping scene so I’m not sure how after support will work.

Someone else maybe in a better position to say.

Reactions: Joe B

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
I was just posting that link because it looked like you thought it had the is20 turbo from the gti. in his 190bhp leon.

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
I believe it does have the Is20.

That’s why I am led to believe.

Loads of tuner claimmits the IS20. Is12 is way too small

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
APR are just pulling Stage 2 because of some American court case. Stage 1 from APR will be fine.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
We had the same engine in our Leon. Its a de-tuned Golf GTi engine with the IS20 turbo.
Sorry but it's not just a de-tuned GTI engine.
See my link I shared earlier - The ECO TSI 190 engine is the EA888 Gen3 B - and the B is important

There are many differences - one major one being compression ration 9.6:1 vs 11.65:1
It also has very different cylinder head which can also run miller combustion cycle with smaller inlet valves, smaller main bearings and runs 0w20 oil.

CHHA engine GTI turbo - different compressor and exhaust turbine
TURBO 06K145874M – DATA SHEET
Product ManufacturerIHI Turbo
Vehicle ManufacturerAudi, Volkswagen

DKZA ECO 190 TSI Turbo
TURBO 06K145654M – DATA SHEET
Product ManufacturerSVZ

1613119492428.png

1613119884905.png

Reactions: queen

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
Sorry but it's not just a de-tuned GTI engine.
See my link I shared earlier - The ECO TSI 190 engine is the EA888 Gen3 B - and the B is important

There are many differences - one major one being compression ration 9.6:1 vs 11.65:1
It also has very different cylinder head which can also run miller combustion cycle with smaller inlet valves, smaller main bearings and runs 0w20 oil.

CHHA engine GTI turbo - different compressor and exhaust turbine
TURBO 06K145874M – DATA SHEET
Product ManufacturerIHI Turbo

DKZA ECO 190 TSI Turbo
TURBO 06K145654M – DATA SHEET
Product ManufacturerSVZ

View attachment 21886

View attachment 21889
Not disagreeing - i don't know enough about the engine, and as i don't hae one any more, the inclination to learn about it is next to none. Best for OP to get advice from a reputable tuner. They will be able to guide as to what can or cannot be done.

There are a few good options
APR
Racingline

not sure about REVO

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Andrew

What can you tell us about the APR mapping methods from experience?

APR,Racingline, REVO etc will have a number of development cars, in 2014 my Cupra 280 was one of them. They have it for 1-2-3-4 weeks, they will take the base map off it after a rolling road session (REVO have a hub dyno where the wheels are removed and bolted to the dyno) they will then flash and test, flash and test etc. Once they are happy with dyno results will then move to the road for more realistic testing. APR for example in USA used to/probably still do test their files on track as well, lets say 30 laps of a track checking temps etc. You will also get updates throughout the lifetime, my old MK2 LCR and MK3 Cupra got a number of updates.

This is why APR/Racingling/REVO etc are £500-1000 and jim bob in his van charges £200, he buys his files from ebay or forums at £50 a shot with no clue whats in them, probably no testing at all.

Starkblood80

Feb 15, 2020
Definitely not a detuned GTI engine and it uses a continental raax turbo rather than an IS20

Steve Caney

Dec 8, 2019
Am Bumping this thread and asking if anyone has actually remapped this engine version yet, and which mapping company used and results?

Feb 8, 2021
Am Bumping this thread and asking if anyone has actually remapped this engine version yet, and which mapping company used and results?
Hi Steve, FYI, I still haven't remapped it, with the manufactures warranty still in place I'm holding off.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.