Is there any OBD2 software for Win that shows boost/data/etc

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
As above other then VAG.COM, what i'm trying to ask for example you can get these apps now for mobile phones (iPhone / Android) that connect to your car via bluetooth OBD2 connector port which show data, dials, psi, etc, look pretty neat.

Example: http://ian-hawkins.com/

I know i've been told VAG.COM does it? but I want some alternative software to be installed on a netbook/laptop

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've been looking into this, and found lots of different packages. Unfortunately they don't work with a standard VAGCOM lead, they need an ELM327 based lead. But you can get bluetooth versions of the ELM327 leads to give you what you want, then it's simply a bit of C or Java to get exactly what you want.

I'm looking at using one of these leads connected to a PC, then fed back on to the screen of the head unit in the car. Although I have to admit it seemed alot easier before I started looking into it!

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
I've emailed the developer of the 'torque' application on whether he has or is intending to release a windows compatible version of that app, waiting to see what he say's

some of the comments on his blog by users of this app say some really positive things about this application, comparing it with $$$$'s software

I use the 'torque' app on my HTC Desire with a bluetooth OBD2 dongle and works perfectly with my LEON, it's totally awesome. Only £2.95 for the add free version! total utter bargain for what it offers

I mean it makes sense if there was a windows version of this or similar software, and I'd be happy to pay for it (within reason), personally I think VAG.COM is too expensive and dull

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Looks like the torque app already uses an ELM327 device, so I think you already have the hardware you need. In which case, does this help;

http://www.obd-diag.com/

Scroll down to the bottom to see the obd diag software. As far as I know it should work with your bluetooth adaptor.

Alternatively;

www.myscantool.com

Does a similar thing but isn't as pretty.

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
I'm new to this, so in simple terms u could get an app that hooks up to ur engine and u could use ur phone as a boost gauge etc???? That sounds ace!!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm new to this, so in simple terms u could get an app that hooks up to ur engine and u could use ur phone as a boost gauge etc???? That sounds ace!!

I'm fairly sure there's quite a few parameters that can be displayed. There are also a few that can be calculated, so for example if you can measure time and speed, you can put them together and calculate acceleration, plot 0-60 times, measure quarter mile runs (with the help of a sympathetic runway or track owner!) etc.

The only sticky point is the hardware, you need either a USB or bluetooth OBD2 dongle. My USB one cost about £20, I seem to remember the Bluetooth ones are slightly more? Obviously the USB version is for PC only, the bluetooth is for Android or PC. Or that horrible thing that Apple make.

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Slimy, yes your right, it does all that too, and the torque app I use reads fault codes! and loads more (shiz I don't know anything about)

I bought the usb dongle for £15 from eBay so it's cheap!

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
You have similiar application for symbian operated devices as well :). I dont remember now nname of that app but I will update it later.

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Do people still use Symbian based phones? lol Sorry bud, Yeah I've seen that app, it's pretty basic compared to what's available on the Android / Apple based phones.

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Yes i still use a symbian based phone N97. I will just wait for my contract renewal - no rush for change.

No i dont mean racechrono. There is another one application which does logs, clears fault codes etc.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I've emailed the developer of the 'torque' application on whether he has or is intending to release a windows compatible version of that app, waiting to see what he say's

some of the comments on his blog by users of this app say some really positive things about this application, comparing it with $$$$'s software

I use the 'torque' app on my HTC Desire with a bluetooth OBD2 dongle and works perfectly with my LEON, it's totally awesome. Only £2.95 for the add free version! total utter bargain for what it offers

I mean it makes sense if there was a windows version of this or similar software, and I'd be happy to pay for it (within reason), personally I think VAG.COM is too expensive and dull

which bluetooth dongle did you get?
thanks

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.