Is this a good price?

Rgonzobull

Just been to my local garage. Toledo v5. Engine flush new oil and filter. New air filter. Fuel filter. Platinum spark plugs. Vehicle check. New rear beam bushes fitted. £250 parts and labour. This is a friend and i thought it was a bargain. What do you think?

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
I'd never flush an engine unless I was going to rebuild it soon after, if there's crud stuck to the block its better there than circulating around the engine IMO

Rgonzobull

Well hopefully the idea is that when u flush and then drain and refill, all the crud comes out. As someone on the forum said, whats the point in putting clean oil in a dirty engine. Imo

Rgonzobull

Thanks csd...... Thats the answer i was hoping for. If a good job is done ill let u all know and anyone in north manchester need it doing ill forward info on

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Just been to my local garage. Toledo v5. Engine flush new oil and filter. New air filter. Fuel filter. Platinum spark plugs. Vehicle check. New rear beam bushes fitted. £250 parts and labour. This is a friend and i thought it was a bargain. What do you think?

OK, engine flush, oil and filter, £5 + £30 + £5.
Air filter £10.
Fuel filter £5.
Spark plugs (platinum are standard for V5). £5 each x5.
Vehicle check. It's a VAG, it doesn't need checking! ;)
New rear beam bushes. Cheapest quote I've had is £30 for the bushes, £120 labour.

So that's £230 so far. £20 labour for the service? Yep, pretty much a bargain in my books!

I have to admit, I don't flush engines any more, especially high mileage. Things will have coked up for a reason, even if you do flush everything out you're still leaving holes where it used to be. Running the engine until it's warm and doing the oil change on a warm engine will pretty much get rid of all the loose crud, and is plenty clean enough for an engine.

Rgonzobull

Well i picked up the car from the garage this afternoon and it feels so much better. Much smoother and responsive. Not to mention with the bushes replaced that horrible clunk has gone. Ill be doing about a hundred miles tomorrow so that should let me appreciate the work done a little more. Hopefully all will remain well

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Well hopefully the idea is that when u flush and then drain and refill, all the crud comes out. As someone on the forum said, whats the point in putting clean oil in a dirty engine. Imo

The reason I wouldn't flush, its best left where it is. This is the cam sprocket side cover off my V5 that has been neglected in a previous life
IMGP2399.jpg

20 mins later
IMGP2405.jpg