Is this the end?

Mar 14, 2020
So travelling home and 1/2mile from my motorway exit I notice I loose power and EML starts flashing...... limping off to a safe place I plugged in my simple diagnostic scanner and it reports cyl 2 and 4 misfire (can't remember the codes) now knowing my car has tendency to spit errors a reset them (stupid) and limped the car a mile to home...... I noticed the car was idling rough but at revs seemed to smooth out....... I got home and inspected the plugs expecting to see oil (dry) ..... Cylinder 2 spark smashed to bits and all others ok...... Bit I replaced them and bought a new coil pack as it was looking bit tired......

O am now suspecting that the piston as some how smashed the plug and sent the bits out of a valve or around the egnine I can't afford a head removal and it's abit outoout my depth..... Is this the end of my Ibiza

15908551315844599972706684878913-scaled.jpg

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Detonation usually causes that damage, failed fuel injector or something on that cylinder.

Could be a bad pump or simply a blocked fuel filter.

Mar 14, 2020
Not sure it's going to get looked at on Monday..... I was looking at possible heat range issues as I'm pretty confident the other factors are ok but until Monday o won't know also seems to be a cmon thinklgcwith Bosch plugs failing

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2020
OK I have been trying a different solution that I never thought of. I have 4 Denso plugs (not sure which - no packaging, it's in the car). I managed to stick a small camera down the plug hole into cylinder 2, I couldn't see any damage although I'm sure I did see bits of the spark plug on the piston (although low resolution so I wont know until garage removes head). Also I couldn't turn the camera to see the valves so it's still possible the debris has screwed a valve..... Tryed put the new coil pack on cylinder 4 and the original back on #2.

Rough when idling sounds like running on 3 cylinders so either it still needs a coil pack or the plug has done more damage, although revs ok and no strange sounds for feeling once pulling, it can be limper to garage around the corner. I highly doubt the piston smashed the plug and I think maybe its failed and screwed cyl 2 and 4 (coincidence as they are in sequence in firing order).

Mar 14, 2020
Is it worth disabling the injector for cylinder 2 (can't know for sure if cyl 4 gone too) to go down to garage tomorrow - its literally 2minutes roll down a hill

Mar 14, 2020
Ok so car in garage and they've compression tested and sent a camera into the cylinder 2. It would appear the spark plug has failed due to heat and the pieces have been fired through a valve.......

Waiting on quotes for repair (valves, timing belt, water pump, head skim) or replacement engine..... Fortunately seems to be a fair amount around

Feeling proper **** as I was due to replace the sparks this week ......

58ca6ea8564f1b398aeb9de59fa55341.jpg

Mar 14, 2020
That seems to be the general consensus but still figure I should wait for the quotes

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It all depends on what you want to replace it with, if you are happy enough with this car and it has a few years life left in it, then does repair cost against its market value mean much?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
are the plugs you had fitted from a genuine seller or a ebay seller that might have been selling fake ngk or Bosch plugs? I didn’t even know there was a market for fake plugs till afew years ago. Worrying really.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
If you're happy with the car, i'd consider putting another engine in.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.