It Begins...

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Armed with the teachings of Lords FinerDetails and k80, and with more products and gear than seems financially sensible, I set to on the car this morning.

Oops, forgot to take any before shots. Not to worry; imagine if your car hadn't been cleaned for a couple of months and in that time you'd done a few thousand miles, driven it through a fleet of midges near Kidderminster and a muddy field near Fort William. It was not clean.

Two bucket method, some Zymol shampoo I bought last year and sheepskin mit to wash it, Meguiar's Water Magnet to dry it, Meguiar's pro wheel cleaner, Auto Glym tyre dressing, DP clay / Wolfgang lube later :

clayed.jpg

(The wheels look really good as well. I was a sworn Wonder Wheels user until today. No more scrubbing and no more inhalation of scary fumes. Also, the reverse baseball hat is for sun protection. :whistle: )

This is going to look so good once the polish, sealant and wax are on. Find myself wishing the sun would go in, though. :censored:

Last edited:

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Day 2

Slightly overcast, looks like a decent day for polishing to me.

Masked up the car. Volvo door seals are a pain, BTW. Stick with SEAT :D

masked1.jpg

masked2.jpg

Then it started raining :mad: and I packed everything away again, so my neighbours are wondering why I'm trying to recreate the film TRON in my driveway.

Now I see why awnings are a good idea :idea:

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
FinerDetails said:
low tack 3m blue tape, but any low tack will do TBH....

The 3M stuff is type 3434. Tried our supplier of tapes at work and they didn't stock it so they wanted to sell me a box of 36 rolls...

Wickes 48 hour masking tape seems to do the trick for a couple of quid a roll, though. :thumbup:

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
The Second Attempt

A whole 2 days off work this week so decided I was going for it this time. Washed it again, went over it quickly with the clay but, as suspected, not much to remove this time. Washed inside the arches this time :whistle:

Masked it up again c/w brief outing to Wickes for some more tape :censored: and waited for the rain.

It didn't rain :thumbup:

Set to with a 6" finishing pad on the PC and Megs #80 Speed Glaze. Ooh, that's some smooth paintwork :

polished1.jpg

polished2.jpg

polished3.jpg

polished4.jpg

polished5.jpg

polished6.jpg

And then the sun came out so the sealant and wax can wait until tonight.

"Witty" comments from passing neighbours so far : 12 :blink:

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Finished...?

After the sun had gone down a bit, I applied a really thin layer of Klasse Sealant Glaze with a small microfibre pad :

sealant1.jpg

(The contours of the car in that shot make it look a bit like it wasn't applied in a straight line but it definitely was :whistle: )

sealant2.jpg

After 45 minutes curing time, it was out with the towel to bring the finish back to a shine. The people who make Klasse SG hate you and want you to look like Popeye - possibly the most useful piece of advice at Iain's open day the other week was to apply this stuff really, really sparingly as it's a total arse to remove.

Once done, the results are scary good, IMHO :

sealed1.jpg

sealed2.jpg

sealed3.jpg

sealed4.jpg

sealed5.jpg

Tired now. I promise not to post any more pictures of a Volvo on a SEAT forum.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members