Stijn's CUPRA Formentor modification journey

Stijn

May 8, 2021
Hello hello!
Prepare yourself for a long story 😋

I'm Stijn, pronounced "Stan" for most of you, and live near Mechelen in Belgium.
Working as a professional car detailer for 3 years now, so scouting for a new car was stressful. 😅 Can't help searching for small imperfections on the paint or interiour. 🕵️‍♂️

I had a Volvo V40 2016 R-Design, wich I fully modified as far as I could.

27.jpg

After almost 5 years of enjoying the car and big community, it was time to choose a more comfortable ride for the wife 😄 It was hard to go anywhere without checking Google Streetview for parking, quality of roads, and weatherconditions. Not the most relaxing time on roadtrips 😉

So after a dozen other brands and models, I reached the Cupra Formentor, and boy was I sold! 😍 As was my other half, so I let her pick the color 😇
For financial reasons, we got the V1 with DSG in Camouflage Green (in some countries Dark Camo?)

Was surprised with the fast delivery time! A month before the suspected date, I mailed them with a question and a status, and the car was already there!
Because I have the experience with preparing new cars and adding more protection, the dealer only made sure to technically prepare the car.
Full of protection foil, stickers, unwashed, and on a trailer we went home!

IMG_20210329_105803.jpg

Ok... so now the problems started. For some, this might not come as a surprise.
To cut this story short: my whole touchscreen is getting replaced under warranty, and probably a few system updates.

The transformation can begin! 👾
Oh wait, I told my wife this car was going to stay 'normal' 🤥
There are a few things I want to be added to my cars, so they stand out from the crowd.

1. Decontamination, polish and coating
As every new car comes from the factory (often overseas) and gets transported by truck, train and boat, they get dirty.
The protection film is only there for lowinger the chance of stonechips and dirty fingers.
The film itself leaves a glue on the paint, and sometimes burns into the paint if the car sits in the sun for too long.
At the car dealer, the car gets wached (often in a carwash) for the first time and they won't look into every detail. It just takes to long. 💰

Therefore, I wanted the car to be untouched and unwashed. When I got the car into the shop I got started on removing all films, gave it a thorough wash, and removed remaining glue.
Modern day cars have orange peel in the paint, so I first got that a bit better on large surfaces. Then a 3 step polish to get every stratch out (and yes a new car has them too) before applying a 3 layer ceramic coating.
Every possible part of the car has been covered, even underside, inside engine bay, rubbers, leather, glass, wheels and callipers,...

IMG_20210411_113000.jpg
IMG_20210408_210028_186.jpg

2. Paint Protection Film (PPF)

I never had my previous car(s) protected with this kind of technology, but I should have!
So this was a no-brainer from the start. It's not cheap, but worth it.
The car never left the shop until the front bumper was fully wrapped ready against stonechips.
Other parts where PPF will be installed: doorhandles, B and C pillars, gaslid, mirrorcaps, doorsills, and gloss black parts on the center console.

IMG_20210414_074305_edit_266782709889498.jpg

3. Roof box

As we want to use the car for roadtrips across Europe, I wanted to expand the space with a roofbox.
The roofrails from Cupra where not so expensive, but ugly and a rebrand from Thule, So it was not too hard to find a matching Thule set of rails, more airodynamic and better looking.
After some looking online, I got my new Thule Vector M roofbox for 25% off!
Might wrap the grey part in a more matching color 😇

IMG_20210503_170736.jpg

4. ECU and DSG tuning

Why get more power and torque? Why not. I had every car tuned, without problems. You get all the benefits without paying extra in roadtaxes.
There are many tuning companies around who do this, for sometimes super cheap prices. But I went to a highly experienced one, speciallized in VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda.
When you have a automatic transmission, it's recommened to tune it too! Most cheap companies don't, so your DSG is wairing more if your engine wants to deliver more power.

Before: 150HP - 250nm
After: 207HP - 351nm

Bonus adjustment: disable START/STOP (only when I want)

IMG_20210422_182558.jpg

5. Wheels and lowering (yet to be installed)

I ordered the car with the standard 18' rims, as I would use them for the winter setup.
Wanted both sets on Michelin tires, but got a good deal on Bridgestone. I don't drive on circuits, won't feel a difference.

Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 245/45R18 XL 100V
Summer: Bridgestone Potenza Sport 235/35R20 92Y

Choosing rims is always difficult. Not many have other wheels and it's always fun to be different.
So, I got the Concaver CVR1 5x112 9x20 ET35 in Carbon Graphite!
Together with lowering springs from JE Design, it will fit perfectly under the car 😎

20-concaver-cvr1-in-carbon-graphite.jpg

WHAT ELSE?
  • All windows will be tinted, front to back.
  • Headlight, rears, fogs and reflectors are getting tinted.
  • Installing my Blackvue dashcam
  • Full Maxton Design bodykit
  • Gassprings into the engine bonnet = failed 1st attempt = waiting for new springs
  • Maybe install a real dual exhaust, in combination with a new diffuser.
  • Looking for dynamic LED side blinkers
  • Rear wiper delete

If you read this, you are truly interested, and I thank you! 😉

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I'd love to see the pictures, when I click on them, I see "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Welcome. I am looking forward to this. I hope you continue to give us updates in your journey. I always enjoy when people with better ideas than me transform their cars :).

Are you going to wrap/change the color of the car or the trim?

BTW great choice of wheels. I think that V Formentors are really hurt by the rim choice Cupra provided, they make the car look much more plain than it is. VZ wheels I like.

Stijn

May 8, 2021
Are you going to wrap/change the color of the car or the trim?
No, not planning on it. That will push the limit with the wife 😂
Was thinking of changing the trim to a dark carbon PPF, to match the mirrors and bodykit. If there's any money left 😉

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
Headlight, rears, fogs and reflectors are getting tinted

Can't wait to see that done. I'm willing to do that with mine but still couldn't find any references online to see if it would look good or not. Let us know when yo do it =D

Reactions: Stijn

Irishcrx

Apr 22, 2021
Very impressive remap , can you tell us more about that and what difference you’ve felt ?

Stijn

May 8, 2021
Update on lowering spings

Installing the JE Design spings today!
Will lower the whole car by 4cm, which is still good for everyday driving in all conditions.
My previous car was lowered with KW coilovers, all the way down. But that takes away too much comfort.

Fairly easy job for someone who knows his was around cars, and will align the wheels in the next few days.

IMG_20210514_135105.jpg
IMG_20210514_141935.jpg

Reactions: CupraCraig

Stijn

May 8, 2021
Very impressive remap , can you tell us more about that and what difference you’ve felt ?
Well of course there is more power 😁 that 'holding back' feeling is gone.
When the DSG is getting tuned, I'll post my experiences. 👍 Was a problem with programming, cause the car is still 'new'.

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
Update on lowering spings

Installing the JE Design spings today!
Will lower the whole car by 4cm, which is still good for everyday driving in all conditions.
My previous car was lowered with KW coilovers, all the way down. But that takes away too much comfort.

Fairly easy job for someone who knows his was around cars, and will align the wheels in the next few days.

View attachment 24476 View attachment 24477
Do these work well with the adaptive suspension or is a bit of calibration required?

Stijn

May 8, 2021
Do these work well with the adaptive suspension or is a bit of calibration required?
This will not interfere with the DCC they told me. Can be adjusted if need be.
Check if your car has FWD or AWD tho. Springs are different for those variants.

Reactions: CupraCraig

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
This will not interfere with the DCC they told me. Can be adjusted if need be.
Check if your car has FWD or AWD tho. Springs are different for those variants.
Mine is AWD.
4cm is a big drop, but it desperately needs it.
Will see what’s available in UK.

Cupradev

May 10, 2021
View attachment 24482

Big improvement!
And yes, it's the same car/color 😁
Looks good. I actually don’t mind the standard ride height as it’s all part of the design of the car, but lowering always adds a little something to a car aesthetically. There was a video posted yesterday, can’t remember by who but think it’s on the “general discussion” thread, where “Automann” had an ABT VZ, a red one which had been dropped and tuned to 370hp I think. That looked great also.

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
Any news on theadlights tinting? Can't wait to see that done haha

This is the only pic I could find so far, but only for the frontend of the car. Want to see how the back will look like:

187237057_2853463181561254_5754852625389952729_n.jpg

Credits to John from the Cupra facebook group.

Stijn

May 8, 2021
Small update today,

Got the aluminum pedals, like almost any premium VAG car has. Why not on ours?

IMG_20210519_164833.jpg

Also notice the carbon gear flippers. Seems not everyone is fond of this, but I am 😉

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise