It's goodbye from me! (Plus a note on PAGID pads)

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Hi all!

I've been registered on this forum for around 2 years or so now and love the community here.

It's been awesome to read hundreds of posts and writing a few whilst struggling through my 5 month wait for my new Cupra 280 back in May 2014!

It's that time when I leave as I've jumped ship to a new manufacturer of car!

After much deliberation and test driving the 7R, 290 etc.. I've decided on a BMW M135i with the 8-speed ZF auto. Can't wait!

My Cupra goes back to the lease company in a few weeks and I'm seriously going to miss it.

It's been a brilliant car and has put the smile on my face countless times aswell as doing an awesome job of removing the smiles off many drivers who thought the Cupra was just 'another Leon diesel'

Note on PAGID pads...
I had to replace the brake pads as the light popped up on the dash. Now as the car is going back in a few weeks I didn't want to spend a fortune or replacing pads. Genuine pads were £115 Inc. VAT.

Called ecp and got a set of PAGID for just under £50, bargain!

In a nutshell, they're ****!

Fade way too easy compared to factory pads, pedal feel isn't great (could improve when fully bedded in) and you cant really lean on them confidentially.

No regrets from me as the car is going to back but if I was holding on to the car, I'd certainly be swapping them out at the earliest point I can.

So, anyone else that's thinking of scrimping on front pads, don't! Go for genuine or better.

It's been great! Cheers guys.

If anyone wants to ask me any questions on my opinions / thoughts on Cupra 280 ownership for the last 2 years and 25k miles, fire away!

Happy to help anyone thinking of buying one etc.

Peace!

fdb36273dc6986c69991d23112e9e373.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Good luck with the new motor. A friend has just bought an m235i and says it's awesome! He's a bit miffed at 19mpg though and no lsd as std.

Last edited:

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I might be thinking of trading in my fr184 for one as I don't do half as many miles as I used to. I would miss the fuel economy though. How many miles do you get to a tank?

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
How would you say BMW compares to 290?
Will let you know when I pick up the 1er in a few weeks in detail.

Only had a light test drive of the M135i so far but interior quality is certainly a step in in the BM. Not that the Cupra is bad. Far from I always preferred the Cupra's interior to the Golf. The bmw is helped by the leather interior, though.

One thing that you can quickly take for granted is just how much standard gear you get in the Cupra vs BMW.

Folding mirrors
Adaptive suspension
Lumbar adjustment
Tinted rear and side glass
Heated side mirrors
Front and rear parking sensors
Cruise control

All of the above are optional extras on the BM which come as standard on the Cupra.

Looks are always subjective, but to my eyes, the Cupra is better looking than the 1er from the outside.

I do think that the headlights will be better on the BMW for colour and output compared to the Leon.

Can't prove this, but just my thoughts when seeing the 1ers LED projector headlights one night.

Last edited:

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
I might be thinking of trading in my fr184 for one as I don't do half as many miles as I used to. I would miss the fuel economy though. How many miles do you get to a tank?
Driving sedately, you'll get 300 miles from a tank of V Power until the fuel low warning comes on.

Driving enthusiastically, you'll see around 250 - 280 miles before the fuel warning light.

For me on average with a mix of motorway and A Road blasting, I'll see around 270 miles until the low fuel light bongs.

Current fuel prices are allowing me to fill up at under £60 if I'm filling up within 10 miles or so of the fuel bong.

What I also will say is weather and outside temp play a decent role in fuel economy. Colder days are less economical so you'll get better economy (say around 5-10% better) in the Summer and warmer months.

My advice is don't skimp on fuel. Buy premium. I tested both Momentum 99 and V Power. For me at least, idle and general running was better with the latter. Stuck with it ever since.

Last edited:

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Update:

The pagid pads still aren't as good as oem, but they have improved now they're better bedded in.

I'd still advise to stick with at least seat genuine parts or better, though!

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Very nice, hope you're happy with it. They sound lovely. I had a 125d before the cupra and it was good fun. For me it was a toss up between the 290 and a 135i and having 2 young kids I needed the extra space in the back for them in the cupra. I e driven the 235i and it's a sweet engine. Only negative is I find the 1 series chassis is not up to the job when really going for it and is missing a proper LSD but you can have one fitted aftermarket. Worth it if you are considering tracking it

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
JACUPRA, I have to say, I absolutely agree with you! Haha.

The rear does already look dated and is crying out for LED brake lights and indicators.

However when considering my options (I need 5 doors), this was the most attractive package for me.

I always preferred the Cupra to the Golf R. Plus once the golf is specced to the same level as the Cupra, it's eye-wateringly expensive!

So paying more for a car that's much the same under the skin, that I didn't like as much seemed daft to me.

Civic tyre R, really not for me.

Audi S3 looks too bland and more expensive than the Golf

A45 AMG, the gearbox is terrible! Really slow to change when in manual mode.

The M135i has a cracking engine, a beautiful gearbox, surprisingly great residuals and a really nice interior, but the exterior looks aren't the best.

The cherry on the cake... When you think this is very likely to be the last ever petrol 6-cylinder hot hatch to ever be on sale from new, for me it was a no brainer.

I also got a cracking deal and virtually no deposit from me.

It was very much a now or never moment with a car like this. I decided to make it now.

As an overall package, the BMW came out on top for me.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members