jamoy's Mk5 Ibiza SC Sport *THREAD*

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Okay then, this is my first build thread so bear with me here...

The Mk5 was bought back in early April 2010, can't believe the time has gone so fast! I deliberated whether or not to put up a build thread or not, as I'm not sure how much I'm going to necessarily 'build' the car..so think of this as more of an ongoing car review with plenty of photos :)

Sadly most of them are with my phone, hence poor quality..i promise to get more up to date ones when the weather clears and the car is clean (two scenarios that rarely occur together!) lol

anyway, on with the photo's. I've tried to make them flow, sort of, from when i first got the car till recent.

Out with the old...

07042010141.jpg

Few hours after collection picked a mate up and went to meet another for a looksie :)

07042010142EDIT.jpg

The first full day with the car after collecting it the previous evening with 6 miles on the clock [B)]

DSC_4207EDIT2.jpg

everything i wanted to do to it...

DSC_4224EDIT3.jpg

I remember running it in was a bitch but i did it by the book, and with the way it go's and uses fuel i'd say i did an alright job :)

Found fuel economy got better and better with more miles...

22042010158.jpg

21052010174.jpg

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Taking in the cleanness before it gets messy!

17042010143.jpg

17042010144.jpg

After a wash...

18042010145EDIT.jpg

At uni next to mate's ST

22042010156EDIT.jpg

some goodies:

06052010173.jpg

Banana Armour Dodo juice wax, Bilberry wheel cleaner, megs purple gel tyre shine, Lusso paint clensor, Glare polish/sealant, drying towel, loads of microfibres, megs speed detailer and some other bits..

Again, just took these to reference how it looked after one month or so..

21052010175.jpg

21052010176.jpg

21052010177.jpg

21052010178.jpg

21052010180.jpg

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Parked at a mates house comparing size with his Dad's new 5 series GT...:lol:

11062010227.jpg

11062010228EDIT.jpg

Random drive to Wales after deciding I hadn't really 'bonded' with the car yet. If you're ever in need of a good drive, Wales is THE place to get to know a car.

DSC_4587EDIT2.jpg

DSC_4589EDIT2.jpg

The brakes really suffered after those photo's, i had to pull over to let them cool such was the stench from them.

17072010020.jpg

Left them for about 10 minutes to cool, this is the middle part of the evo triangle btw

17072010019EDIT.jpg

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Some stats after my epic journey (didn't leave the midlands till 3pm)

17072010023.jpg

17072010024.jpg

17072010025.jpg

8 Hours driving! pretty much non stop bar some toilet/drink/map reading stops..

17072010026.jpg

Despite the computer saying 40mpg pretty much all the time on the long term MPG read-out i haven't yet managed to get near 400 miles to a tank. So realistically it's more like 38mpg i think..I'm pretty sure the Cupra is a more economical car (when you're being economical that is..) lol

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Getting some TLC (i'm pretty anal when it comes to cleaning this car, it's done at least every 2 weeks externally, the inside gets vaccumed and dusted every week...my neighbours think i'm strange lol - Went to a mates house to clean the car with his snow foam seeing as he was doing his, so clean sesh was agwarn!

DSC_4365EDIT.jpg

DSC_4366EDIT.jpg

Didn't get any of the Ibiza covered in what looks like man juice, as i did snow foamed my car and put the camera away :(

DSC_4370EDIT.jpg

DSC_4371EDIT.jpg

DSC_4372EDIT.jpg

DSC_4373EDIT.jpg

DSC_4374EDIT.jpg

DSC_4377EDIT.jpg

DSC_4383EDIT.jpg

It was a blisteringly hot day, i think it was actually the hottest of the year...i spent the next few days out with sun stroke! not good. But the car was clean and the snow foam, despite being a faff is impressive, making the car easier to clean with dirt coming off far easier, which is nice.

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
At GTI International! :D

DSC_4518EDITcopy.jpg

Most recent photo...

31072010036.jpg

Eventually went on to hit 55.4mpg before i got bored lol to get these figures you can't really exceed 55mph :doh: which is dull. Also, i took that photo on an empty bit of rural road, arrow straight :whistle:

The car has now been polished and waxed ready to be sealed for the upcoming winter, although i would like to layer some more wax on - just whether my arm muscles agree is something else lol

Mini road trip next week end, i'll try take some proper photos, stay tuned :)

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Your pretty handy with a camera, I'm useless at taking pics of my car :(

But yours is pretty much the same, so at least now I know what it would look like with decent pics :p

Thats pretty impressive MPG for a 1.4 petrol, I can easily get my 1.6 TDI down to those figures.:blink:

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
love the pictures taken in wales. :D
What camera did you use?

Taken with my now almost classic 2006 Nikon D50 with a sigma 10-20mm wideangle lens ;)

Your pretty handy with a camera, I'm useless at taking pics of my car :(

But yours is pretty much the same, so at least now I know what it would look like with decent pics :p

Thats pretty impressive MPG for a 1.4 petrol, I can easily get my 1.6 TDI down to those figures.:blink:

lol, why thank you, it is a hobby of mine, although nowadays i'm just too lazy. I still want one of those external camera rigs for motion shots mind :p

haha, yeah, you've a bigger engine and i some bigger wheels :funk:

Yeah it's not bad is it. Although I couldn't of tried any harder, SEAT still seem to claim 44mpg combined for this engine... What figures do you get from yours?

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
lol, why thank you, it is a hobby of mine, although nowadays i'm just too lazy. I still want one of those external camera rigs for motion shots mind :p

haha, yeah, you've a bigger engine and i some bigger wheels :funk:

Yeah it's not bad is it. Although I couldn't of tried any harder, SEAT still seem to claim 44mpg combined for this engine... What figures do you get from yours?

It varies a lot to be honest, at the moment I do a lot of motorway miles and not much else, on the motorway it'll average about 53-55mpg. On normal country roads it tends to do about 55-60mpg :) Having said that if I got for a spirited drive it'll easily go down to the high 40's.

65 point something is the higest I've ever got it too, when I was actually trying to be economical

I think the overall average, was 53.2 last time i checked.

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
It varies a lot to be honest, at the moment I do a lot of motorway miles and not much else, on the motorway it'll average about 53-55mpg. On normal country roads it tends to do about 55-60mpg :) Having said that if I got for a spirited drive it'll easily go down to the high 40's.

65 point something is the higest I've ever got it too, when I was actually trying to be economical

I think the overall average, was 53.2 last time i checked.

high 40's on a spirited drive? i'm lucky to get 30 lol

It's what i was thinking for the dev though, i wanna know more about the FR TDI...mhmm

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Lil update, so last friday (i think) after getting no sleep whatsoever i washed the car before i went away for the weekend. I'd had some problems with the front wipers making the usual noises when they're in use. When i first had the car it was super smooth and cleared the screen perfectly, but whatever SEAT put on the screen was wearing off, so i put a layer of polish over the whole screen and put wax on the passenger side (just as a tester) Good news is that the noises had gone and the beading on the passenger side with the wax was sexual lol Bad news is it left all these lumps of smears when the wiper ran over it.

So, last friday when i washed the car i made sure all insects were removed and then used some paint clensor over the screen to try and remove the old wax, then i polished the screen twice.

Here's the photo's anyway:

DSC_4613copy.jpg

DSC_4615copy.jpg

DSC_4621copy.jpg

DSC_4622copy.jpg

DSC_4620.jpg

DSC_4623.jpg

DSC_4625.jpg

DSC_4626.jpg

DSC_4628.jpg

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Eventually arrived at my mates house after some heavy rain en route north...least it gave me a chance to test out the paint cleanser and polish on the front screen.. Result was epic beading to such an extent that when travelling at 70 in constant medium rain you only need intermittent wipers! so I was quite happy with that.

From the Apartment balcony:

28082010058.jpg

Mine and mates 1er
DSC_4632.jpg

Apartment owners A3 SB :p
DSC_4631.jpg

DSC_4646.jpg

DSC_4647.jpg

It's all dirty again now and the windscreen is covered in flies :(

Also, i brimmed the tank before i left, did 250 miles on the M6/M1/M42 and when i got back a few short jouney's here and there and only got 330 miles to that tank with 20 miles left on range. If that's right then thats 350 miles a tank and with the 10 gallon capacity it equates to 35mpg. Computer is still adamant i'm geting 40mpg :/

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
cars very nice matey :), keep up good work in ur sig is that ur dials i can see in the window near enuf 140mph is that ?

cheers man, appreciated :D
ahh, the joys of photoshop :lol:

Did you take the fogs out and spray them mate or spray them on the car?

They're not sprayed, just covered in a lamin-x film.
GolfGTI20T73.jpg

I loved the look of the fogs on that beastie so much i wanted to do the same, but lamin-x only do pre-cut sizes for popular US VAG models, mk5 golf etc etc, so a SEAT isn't on there unfortunately. However, you can order a sheet of any size u want, i measured the fogs and ordered a 4x7" sheet, cut it to the fog shape and stuck it on. I really needed to take the fog out, but i just couldnt be arsed with the hassle. As a result it looks a bit dodgy close up where the ruff edges are but from afar you can't tell and looks better in the flesh :)

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Right, been thinking a lot recently about what i want car wise and what i can do etc

I said at the start of this thread that i wasn't sure how much i was going to do to it, but now i've decided that I am going to lower it and space it out a touch.

After that maybe an air filter to give it some induction noise, but I'm saving up to put myself in a position to buy a project car in two years time. So spending on this will be limited and tbh it is only a 1.4 at the end of the day, huge expenditure is a waste, but coilovers i can justify for 2 years of handling joy and hard looks :p

Some things about the Mk5 really get on my nerves, which has put me off getting either an FR or Cupra, but overall there is no other similar (performance wise) new car i'd rather have.

Might be a while till the next update, hopefully with some slam :-D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.