Jason Plato hurt in TV filming accident.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
“We found the nearest hospital on our sat nav and Phil Bennett [former BTCC racing driver who was at the test] took me to the local A&E.”

Sounds like Mr Plato is up for some sponsorship...

I can see the ad now...

{Cuts to Mr Plato with burning car in background}
Plato: "Being a racing driver, I'm used to speed on the track..."
{camera angle change, Mr Plato turns to camera showing bandaged hands}
Plato: "but sometimes, on the road, you just have to get somewhere fast"
{Cut to view of Mr Plato with table containing satnav in foreground}
Plato: "That's when I rely on... Tom Tom..."
{Cut to 3D product view with voiceover of specs}

:lol:

Seriously, we'll be there chearing you on come Sunday :footysup:

Pete

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
Conspiracy fact.
5th gear had to burn Plato
coz he contemplated on
defecting to Topgear.
well done cheeky Vicky and Tiff.

Best of luck Plato.
And its best to stick to what you are known for........., (SEAT)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The film of JP's accident will be shown on Monday nights Fifth Gear, as well as Tom Ford's crash where he broke his foot.

Hopefully come Monday we'll be celebrating JP's victory in the BTCC. Fingers crossed.

Good Luck, JP, Darren, and Tom and all at SEAT Sport. Give the Griffin hell. :)

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i just saw that plato got hurt on the news

his burns look pretty bad, but nothing to crashing at 280mph, i think 5th gear will always be in top gears shadow.

Top gear reckong 5th Gear burnt their storehouse lol

will make for interesting watching on monday nite

get well soon and all the best JP

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
What news was that, local news?

I think Hammond might be jealous, ;) he's always said he was disappointed he doesn't have the slightest scar to show for his accident.

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
Few pics:

jason_plato_crash.jpg

jason_plato_crash_2.jpg

andycupra

status subject to change
:( plato loses title race.

sound like nasty burns to neck, he said something like:
full thickness burns, nerves killed and will leave nasty scar.

im actually wondering if top gear will say anything later, as perhaps the comment about 5th gear not having acidents properly is poor taste now?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
im actually wondering if top gear will say anything later, as perhaps the comment about 5th gear not having acidents properly is poor taste now?

Um...they just referred to him as "Baked Potato"...so yes they did say something, but not quite in the way you envisaged!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Bit of a lad-ish comment to make. I'm sure JP would take it with a pinch of salt, and give as good back.

Not sure when Top Gear is pre-recorded, usually in the week I would expect. The extent of Jason's injuries were not really known until this weekend. When he explained in the ITV interview that he suffered a very serious full thickness burn to his neck.

Poor taste in hindsight by Top Gear, but I very much doubt anyone at Top Gear wishes Jason any genuine spiteful ill feeling.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
You have to take the comment in the spirit of the programm IMO. On topgear they take the p*** out of each other for their accidents. I mean they were even ribbing Hammond while in his hospital bed. It's the way they are. I think taken in this context ( and I hope JP would ) then it's amusing.

Racing, and the kind of driving they do on track for TV, is a dangerous activity. They all know what can happen, and I think making a joke out of it is a healthy diversion from the scary reality of what happens when it all goes wrong.

Pete

andycupra

status subject to change
You have to take the comment in the spirit of the programm IMO. On topgear they take the p*** out of each other for their accidents. I mean they were even ribbing Hammond while in his hospital bed. It's the way they are. I think taken in this context ( and I hope JP would ) then it's amusing.

Racing, and the kind of driving they do on track for TV, is a dangerous activity. They all know what can happen, and I think making a joke out of it is a healthy diversion from the scary reality of what happens when it all goes wrong.

Pete

not sure i can agree in this case, while i appreciate the spirit of the programme and ribbing can be funny, in this case i dont think it was funny.
If injuries are not too serious and people will fully recover, then yes feel free to take to p1ss.
Sadly as Z has stated, when it was recorded im sure they did not know the full extent of the injuries. (and therefore any mickey takign should have been done with caution).

However by sunday they did know how serious the injuries were, or should have made efforts to find out prior to this.
Therefore in hindsight it was in very poor taste, which i can except, however to leave it in the programme and not edit it out was very poor in my opinion.

If i was on Top Gear i would be feeling pretty bad about this.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.