Just viewed an LCR - Couple of questions

Mar 5, 2007
Hey Chaps.

After asking a few questions about the LCR and browsing around old topics on this forum I finally went to take a look at one today.

The car is an 03 plate with teardrop mirrors, and seemed in pretty good nick. There were a couple of, I'd assume minor issues which I wanted to clarify with you guys here before making any decisions...If you please :)

All the "R" badges seemed a bit worse for wear, but I'm assuming that's not too much of a worry. Slightly more of a worry was a couple of the brembo calipers were peeling. Is there anything I can do to halt or fix this easily?

The main point was the remote key fob. It will quite happily lock the car, but will not unlock it, you have to manually unlock it with the key. The chap who owns it said he was told it was around £100 to replace the key for a working one. Is this correct, and/or could it be something more sinister?

Speaking of the remote. I read a topic on here the other day, stating that you can auto close all the open windows by holding down the lock button on the remote after leaving the car. This example did no such thing. Were all LCRs capable of this, could it be the busted fob?

On the plus side. The temp sensor was replaced, so i'm hoping that's not something I'll need to do later and the car was virtually devoid of any bumper/bonnet stone chips!

I appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks!

EDIT: The gearknob was looking a bit flakey. Cheap replacement?

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
The key thing - costs is accurate for a mian dealer for a direct replacement - sounds to me like the button is buggered.

The window feature is only applicable when you insert the key in the lock and hold it turned in the lock direction - holding the button on the key does nothing!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
gearknobs seem to go on all seats for some reason, i had a change on my Ibiza. but scour ebay for one or just get an optional one, Think its about #45 for a standard one or #55 for an optional one.

Badges going grot is no problem, just cheap laquer badge manufacturer used, no problems though getting a new set off ebay again.

Again thats a dealer pricwe for the key, in honesty i would go to a dealer as you will have to get them to code it for you anyway, unles you have vagcom, can simply swap the blade out of your current key though so no need to cut a new one.

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
Buy a remote off eBay if you need to. They normally go for about 20 quid on there and are easily re-programmable. Then just use your existing blade and immobiliser end.

Gearknobs flake unfortunately. I managed to find an almost new 225 one on here to replace mine with. Same with Brembo's, they flake too, nothing you can do to help that really bar re-laquering them. I know a couple of people have done it on here, i'll be doing mine soon hopefully.

R badges corrode all the time too. New ones are less than 5 quid plus vat from the dealers.

nickkis

Coming back to the fold
Jul 4, 2005
Wiltshire
Just to let you know, the R badge was like that when he bought it. I know, I was there ;)

She is a really good buy, its just his luck that the key fob is playing up. I know it worked last Friday as I watched him lock and unlock it remotely.

nickkis

Coming back to the fold
Jul 4, 2005
Wiltshire
Off Topic, I find it deeply dishy, its a rather delightful cut of Freddie L, ooooh drooling.

The only thing disturbing, is the fact that I have to drive a Pug 106 during weekdays and my replacement Seat hasn't moved in yet ;)

Mar 5, 2007
Haha, I had a feeling you'd find my post.

I find your avatar simply scrummy.

It was you that kerbed the alloys as well wasn't it. ADMIT IT, it's always the women. My coupes alloys were kerbed to feck by the previous lady owner not knowing what kerbs were!

Auto window kit? I coulda sworn you chaps were having adiscussion about windows opening before getting to the car and vice versa. Oh well, I'm sure I can live without...:(

Nickkkkssi. I told Gazza I'd have a mull over it and get back to him tomorrow.

So I shall now go and have a long think!

Thanks for the help guys.

nickkis

Coming back to the fold
Jul 4, 2005
Wiltshire
LMAO.. it soooo was not me who kerbed it. When he left, she was in perfect condition. I was insanely careful with it. Thats not to say his new missus didn't do it ;)

I have given it serious consideration over the last year about buying 'Scarlet' back from him because I know for a 'virgin' version, she's probably one of the best ones out there.

If you do buy her, enjoy, I know I did. And if not, have fun with the one you choose because they are really lovely cars.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
You *might* find that a change of batteries fixes the locking problem. My old LCR used to lock, but not unlock when the batteries were getting low.

Badges are normal but cheap and easy to replace.

Sounds to me that if they are the only problems then it's a good car and worthy of your money. :)

Mar 5, 2007
The only problems I have noticed :)

You can forgive anyone being hesitant when they are handing over large wads of cash to private individuals :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members