Key Battery Low

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
So I got a message on the display showing that the key battery is low. This was displayed with both keys. I have replaced both batteries and the message is still being displayed.

Do I need to do something else?

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
If its anything like the Ateca kessy I had to fit Duracell batteries to make them register properly, your average supermarket jobs just didn't work
And yes, I didn't think it would make any difference until I tried it myself!

Reactions: andycalvia

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
If its anything like the Ateca kessy I had to fit Duracell batteries to make them register properly, your average supermarket jobs just didn't work

It sounds absolutely ridiculous but if it works, it works. Will buy some proper batteries (not my IKEA ones) later and update if this crazy theory actually works 🤣

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire

So gave this a try and bought some Duracell batteries but still getting the Key Battery Low warning.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I found that if you can fit a bigger battery, say a cr2032 instead of a cr2016, then the voltage problem doesn't occur and it lasts much longer. Not sure if this is possible with these newer keys and thin, flimsy covers but might be worth a try. As long as the voltage and polarity is the same you can't damage the key, the only difference is the physical thickness and energy capacity.

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Well it may seem crazy but it seems refuelling the car has cancelled the Low Key Battery warning. Was on when I left the house after almost a week. Filled up and BOOM it's gone.

Has disappeared for both keys also. Oh these cars are set to try us sometimes with their quirks.