Keyless fob strange problem

MR T

Jul 10, 2004
BOONDOCKS
Hello troops, I used to own a number iof ibiza's back in the day about 10 years ago due to company cars I've had vauxhalls since.
Anyway i now have a 2 year old leon estate which is very nice and all, however it's developed a strange issue.
The change key fob icon came on the dash so I changed the battery and now the key is dead. I can unlock the door manually with the pull out key and if I hold the fob next to the key reader in the cup holder the car will start but the fob buttons remain dead.
I did the same with the spare key and it's absolutly fine works every time.
I have swapped every permutation of old battery, new battery key battery going and one key is dead one works fine.
I have tried to recode it as per the manual but no joy.

It recently went to get a dent repaired at the body shop. If the battery was disconnected for whatever reason would this be part of the issue.

I hate going into the dealers because it takes forever.
Any help appreciated.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Many button cell batteries now have a transparent ‘invisible’ sticker on the reverse side of the battery - the side where the contacts are. It’s difficult to see the sticker and some forum members have had similar issues to you as they’d not seen the sticker, so not removed it - the result being the key fob with the new battery inserted didn’t work. So worth checking your replacement battery doesn’t have one of those transparent stickers still attached and if it does, remove it.

Also, be aware there are lots of fake batteries on sale, so it’s worth trying a different new battery (with the protective sticker removed) in case the new battery you’ve used isn’t the genuine article.

MR T

Jul 10, 2004
BOONDOCKS
Took myself up to the finest wilko nearby and bought a pack of energiser batteries. Straight in job done both keys work perfectly and the message is gone.
I'm guessing these keys are always active or use a lot of power if a less than perfect new battery knackers the whole thing.

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Took myself up to the finest wilko nearby and bought a pack of energiser batteries. Straight in job done both keys work perfectly and the message is gone.
I'm guessing these keys are always active or use a lot of power if a less than perfect new battery knackers the whole thing.

I've had similar issues with the key fob and only 'premium' batteries seem to work. Very bizarre