Keyfob range - Seat Ibiza 1.2 Tdi 2013

Jul 24, 2021
Hello. I am a new member here, so hopefully, i'm doing this right :)

I recently just purchased my first car. A Seat Ibiza 1.2 Tdi Ecomotive from 2013. A really lovely car.
I have however discovered the range on the keyfob is not the best. At first, I thought it was because the key I got when I purchased the vehicle was broken.
I then purchased a new key via an authorized Seat service center. But that didn't really change much.

So I am wondering if it is possible to extend the range of either the keyfob itself or the receiver inside the vehicle. And if so. How would I proceed with this?

Kind regards, Kasper.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hello Kasper, maybe in your country the car insurance companies demand that the key fob range is very short.

I can easily lock or unlock my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1,2TSI from within our house when the car is parked 6mtrs away and through double glazed windows.

I've never tested the actual maximum range, but having only a short range works for me and might be what is intended.

Edit:- remember that all these cars will auto relock if you do not walk to the car and open a door within a certain amount of time, that is for extra security just in case you accidentally press the UNLOCK button.

Jul 24, 2021
Hello.

I don't think my country's insurance has anything to do with it. As my brother, BMW has a range 4 times greater than mine.

I did however have a look in the instructions manual. And there was a picture displaying what the range of the receiver is.
So it is by default how short the range is.

So I am just wondering if anybody knows how to extend the range.

Kind regards, Kasper.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.