Knock from Drivers' Side Door

Mar 8, 2020
Hi All!

I bought a Leon Mk2 Cupra in March, it's a FL 60 plate and it has recently developed a rattle/knock noise which seems to be coming from the drivers door. It is quite sporadic and difficult to isolate but it seems to happen most predictably on pulling away and slowing down but also over very bumpy road surfaces (Leicester is pretty awful for those). Best way to describe it is like a tap, tap, tap, almost like a loose piece of bodywork or something (I can't see or feel anything loose anywhere on the car), I don't feel it through the steering wheel or the suspension. The weirdest thing is that it disappeared completely at the start of this week (Monday 17th August) but then re-appeared last night, slowly over the course of a 10 minute drive - I wasn't thrashing the car, just driving normally.

Me and a mate have investigated under the car, shaking and levering various parts (control arm, ARB, track rods, etc.) and cannot get it to make the noise at all. I have replaced the ARB Links on both sides and am considering replacing the control arm bushes as well. Do you have any other suggestions to check/replace?

I've heard/read a lot about the Steering Racks on Mk5 Golfs, could that be the issue here? Also, what about engine mounts? Back to front there is very little movement in the engine but it swings side to side a fair amount - is that normal?

Any help you can offer would be great, it's driving me a little insane!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
You sure it's not something inside the door panel itself that's come loose? I'm not sure it'd make a tapping noise. But on the MK2s we tend to get movement in the subframe. I get a knock from what sounds like my passenger door when eg I move from braking to accelerating. Done it for ages. Am tempted to get one of the subframe spacer kits to shut it up.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise