knock with steering

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
well back on topic to my steering knock

I have had a look today, road wheels tight, strut top mount bolts tight, steering column bottom clamp tight and no play detected in either track rod end

However, if I hold either of the track rod ends and wiggle the steering wheel I can feel the play and the clonk

So I reckon it's either a buggered steering rack (7k miles unlikely) or a loose steering rack mounting

It's going to Meadens in sway on Saturday at 11.00 so watch this space

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
if you can still hear knocking then its something knocking like droplinks ect or steering rack or maybe steering collum bearing like craig said
:)

gazjones yer i done all four corners for my cupra used the ramp at work then geomatry checked the wheels after saved loads doing it this way and didnt take long

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
well it went to my local stealers today MEADENS in sway and they are going to fit a new steering rack as they reckon mine has a loose bush in it

WTF go for it, I ain't paying

I assume this is accessed from under the car as they said they will need the car all day

I bet I get a 1.2 as a loan car thats as slow as your Nan

ahh well, it might have a boot light that I can rob or some aero wipers, heehee

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
at least your seat stealers are giving you a loan car i didnt have a car 1 time for a week and anouther time 2and a bit weeks and still never got a loan car as they had all already been given out tryed to rent a car and get them to pay for but they wouldnt w4nk3rs

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
yeah, I find if you are not in a hurry you normally get one

I normally ask for the first date that they have with a loan car availiable

sometimes if on the day they have still not got a car for you then they will pay for a hire car or give you the top sails guys car heehee

I'm a little worried about them fitting a new steering rack to my bizza, hope they don't damage it while it's with them "again" :ban:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
steering racks are reasonabley easy on every car ive done one on normally the worst of times is dropping the subframe. so im sure the tech's down seat are capable just they probably thrash the arse off of it after!!! fookin hell they give you money for a loan car apparantly for insurance reasons they couldn t pay for my hire car and giving you the top sales mans car :think: are you sure (they must really trust you!!!)

hope all goes well for you fella!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
well they haven't actually paid for a hire car but they were going to until the boss came up with the idea of letting me take the sails guys skoda superb 2.5 tdi home after they snagged my seat and made a hole in it

unfortunately the new seat cover only took 2 days to sort out :(

I have bought 4 cars from them over the last 10 years

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.