Knocking Noise - Drop links?

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
Hi All,
When I am driving down the road say at 30mph I hear a knocking noise when the road surface is slightly uneven/undulating. I am thinking it might be something to do with the droplinks.
I had the front rear wishbone bushes replaced about 5k ago to solid cupra ones, so they will be fine.
The noise happens when going steady in a strait line and when cornering, I am driving steady too, no harsh acceleration. If I go over a speed bump and both wheels hit it at the same time I generally do not notice the metallic knocking noise, then again it's an Ibiza so plenty of other noises going on too.

It's standard FR suspension by the way.

I want to get a wheel off and take a look as soon as I can, and I hope it's a easy job to do with no need to visit a garage. That's if it's the route cause of the knocking. :confused:

icemancupra

Apr 3, 2006
I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago. I had a metalic knocking noise at slow speed on uneven ground. I had the car in the air, check everything. Its a lowered petrol cupra. After some searching on here I checked the ARB drop links, without jacking the car up! Grab hold of the drop link and iv it a good shake/thrust you should here the very same metilic knocking noise if thats what it is. I changed my nearside for 13 pounds and its quiet as a mouse. Hope yours is an easy fix.

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
could be drop links,mine made a knocking sound like that when they went,nice cheap and easy fix if it is:)

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Mine makes this noise. I changed both front drop links, didn't make the slightest bit of difference lol. Still makes an annoying clunking sound on been bumps.

If i steer left or right at the same time as hitting the speed bump I don't get the noise...sorted :D ;)

Rhys_

Mar 29, 2009
Cardiff, South Wales
I had the same problem but found out what it was when a drop link snapped! the other was bent pretty bad too! and that wasn't long after i noticed the noise either, mine is lowered tho. New shorter drop links and all sorted!

essex ibza

Apr 23, 2010
Superb! thanks chaps!
I will get the wheels off and take a look.
What is a good site to buy new standard drop links from?
(seat dealers are few and far between!)

Euro car parts is a good a place and will send out for next day delivery if you don't have one close by[B)]

essex ibza

Apr 23, 2010
I've had a quick look, they don't seem to list them online, I might have to give them a call.

Euro car parts are good at giving things a different name:wtf: i think they list them as axial control arms:think: but i would give them a call as there prices are quite cheep

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Superb! thanks chaps!
I will get the wheels off and take a look.
What is a good site to buy new standard drop links from?
(seat dealers are few and far between!)

But maybe you have a VW or Skoda dealer nearby? (Polo 9N and Fabia will use the same p/n) - if that is of any help as they are all Fabias underneath.

Rory101

Oct 11, 2005
My daughter's 1.2S has been making what sounds like the same noise too for the last 3mths - it's most noticeable at low speeds on undulating roads. It's a fairly "solid" sounding clunking noise.
On her car I wondered if it was something do do with the whole engine/gearbox rocking and hitting something - the 3cyl engine isn't exactly solidly held in place.

Anyway I couldn't see anything wrong with bushes etc and local garage just MOT'd it without comment.

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
just had this. was the arb bush. symptoms.....knocking sound over uneven roads, bumps. bushes 5 pounds each for the oem.

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
I've had a look under, and cannot see anything wrong. I did notice there is about 1mm play in the drivers side (longer) drive shaft compared to the short one when pulling on it. If it was the ARB bushes then I assume it would be visually obvious.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.