KW V3 Adjusting on car

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
Searched through hundreds of threads which has 95% sold me on a set of KW V3's but the 5% stopping me is how are these adjusted for damping/rebound?

Having had coilovers on other cars I've always found it a faff and swore never to get adjustable coilovers again! However, as I'm on the quest for a really sorted handling motor for predominantly bumpy road use, I'm willing to give them another go.

Pay for what you get is the key. I've currently got ProSport shocks (standard shocks were knackered so this was a cheaper fix), but for me, they're rubbish! I'd like to get some good shocks that I can adjust the damping and rebound to negate the bouncy feeling you normally get with pre set shocks. From what I've researched, the V3's are top of the sensible tree but if I drive it for three months then try to sort the rebound out only to find the adjusting knob seized then they can go swing!

So,
1. On car adjustabillity - easy, medium or difficult?
2. Long term durability (with regards to adjusting) - any good or not?
3. Maintenance - I'm firmly expecting to regularly jack up the car and spray some WD around but how often do people suggest??

Any feedback greatly appreciated (good or bad - bring it on)

Cheers

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Morning,

1. Fronts - easy, rears - medium
2. Very good
3. This isn't needed. What we suggest is once you set the height to where you want it, just cover the threads in electrical tape and that will protect them until you need to adjust again

Damian @ DPM Performance

dukemaster17

Dec 21, 2015
Greece
Well is as you said it before. What you pay is what you get. I also had 2 different coilover suspensions on my car before the one i am currently using which is Koni Coilover. You can adjust everything damping/rebound front-rear lowering but it all comes to you.

Personal Experience:

I mean your driving style. For example i am using Koni and 18" rims with 225/40 slick tyres in Greece and i was willing to give up some comfort due to our amazingly F**** driving roads which do not exist :p and still performs and absorbs 80% (if not 90% but lets be realistic) i might say of the road bumpiness. It's like a scanner i don't know how else to describe it.

On the other hand before i had a different setup on my car when i had 17" rims with 215/45 michelin tyres and had soften the suspension a lot it was like riding in a cloud. It was much nicer for my back and smoother ride also...!!!

So my personal opinion is pay one time for a good coilover kit and play with the settings to find the perfect one for you.
I haven't heard anything bad for KW V3 by the way from anynone.
Can anyone tell us if they have KW V3 installed and their car and their opinion on the matter ?

PS: They are also easier to repair. I had fallen into a big pothole with 140Km/h during boost and my front left coilover was gone.
It has thrown oil from the shock all over the place. So i sent it to KONI and they asked me to sent them also my right coilover so they can match them together as a pair. At the end i got a brand new suspension for a friction of a cost.
I paid 90 pounds for both shocks.

Last edited:

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
Many thanks guys,
I've had adjustable suspension before but many years ago on a Pug 205. Shocks were limited back then and perhaps more performance orientated meaning they would be looked after regularly rather than fit and forget. As a result it didn't take long for them to start binding up.

Finding that sweetspot was the reason I asked about durability as I'm certain it will take a little while to find it with many fine adjustments in between. I've found other users with their settings posted up which I can use as a base guide.

Just as I initially posted I found a decent 'how to' guide on adjusting them so as said, doesn't look too difficult.

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
Just to add, the Prosport Shocks, for the money, are actually pretty good. It worked out cheaper than replacing the original shocks like for like. As I needed them (my originals were leaking) and I wanted to lower the car by a few mm, it seemed the sensible option.

Despite being very comfortable with excellent road manners, I just find them a little too bouncy for my liking and a little unsettling when pressing on over bumpy roads. I could fanny around with spring rates to match the damping/rebound characteristics but this would end up costing too much for not much gain.

As mentioned, every ones driving style and preference is different so having adjustable shocks should cater for this.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I used to have set of weitecs (now rebranded st by kw) that I bought from damian about 6 years ago. They were only height adjustable not damping but after a few months of setting up is seemed to get them dialled in. With the other mods I added over the years in the end it did end up a firm ride, which whilst not ideal on the bumpier back lanes was great on track.
I did however upgrade these to the KW clubsports (next stuff above the v3 I believe) earlier this year and these are fully adjustable. The front have adjustbale top mounts as well the but damping adjustment is on the top of the strut here, easily accessible through the mount.
The rears are also adjusted on the top of the shock however on an OE setup this will entail undoing it from the body and dropping it to adjust same as the v3s.
Ive just had my cage fitted and the rear seat mounting points have to be removed for this to firt and the old rear strut mountings are cut out and rear reinforcement buckets welded in, this leaves me a roughly 60mm hole to access the rear strut top from inside the car to adjust.
Not suitable for everyones application but handy for me, ill see if I can get a pic to show
The coilovers were about 1 year old when I acquired them and all the adjusters are free with no real signs of corrosion or sticking, but the bodies of the KWs are stainless so I would expect them to last and remain that way for a while. Also as previously mentioned the can be easily rebuilt for sensible prices

Last edited:

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
I was looking at the clubsport as they aren't a million miles off price wise from the V3's. In reality though, the car will unlikely see a track (but I have done many track days in previous cars).

From what I've researched, the V3's will do what I require, can't really see me using the clubsports to their full advantage on the local roads.

Cheers for the comments though, it's reinforcing my decision to finally push the button.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.