LC Hesitant Until Warmed Up - Any Ideas? :confused:

Fluff

Mar 29, 2005
South London/North Kent
2001 LC, totally standard except Forge 007P and Hitachi coil packs.

Runs well most of the time but from the first start of the day (catches first time before settling to an even idle), the engine hesitates and splutters as soon as it's put under load, so I have to raise the revs and slip the clutch to make a clean getaway. After about 1/2 to 3/4 mile the fault clears and the car behaves perfectly.

- Coil packs and plugs all replaced within the last few thousand miles.

- Injector cleaner put in at last fill-up.

- Not a sausage from the engine fault light.

- No fault codes detected by my Gendan reader.

Any ideas as to what might might be playing up?

All ideas welcome.

Ta muchly in anticipation,

Fluff

Fluff

Mar 29, 2005
South London/North Kent
Thanks guys.

The MAF was replaced under warranty in mid 2005, shortly after I bought the car. I happened to be near the dealer when the fault light came up, drove in and they replaced it on the spot (or so they said). How long do these things last? They seem to be £90 odd at VAGParts - is that the best available price?

The ECU temp sender was replaced for a green top in early 2007. The old duff one was giving me a fault code and presumably putting the ECU into 'limp home' mode but the engine never missed a beat.

Any more ideas?

Fluff

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
so its deffo temp related? once your up to temp problems gone?

are all your electrical connectors on tight? moisture? had issues with moisture in my maf connector which went as the engine dried it out..?

Fluff

Mar 29, 2005
South London/North Kent
It's really bad when totally cold and by the time idle speed has dropped down to 800, which is presumably when the engine is warmed through and the injection is 'off choke' everything is fine.

It could well be moisture - I'll check that. It's most noticeable on very early morning starts when evrything is a bit dewy.

Could it be fuel related? I think I'll whip the plugs out over the weekend and see what they say. "Phew, bloody hot in there mate" probably.

Thanks for being patient with a Cupra numpty (I'm okay with old skool stuff with distributors and carbs :D )

Fluff

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
a few people on here have used dielectric grease on maff connections and other electrical connections. it sorted me out but i was seeing surging/hesitancy.

other thing as said would be temp sensor as it seems temp related?

do a search on throttle body clean. that can get sticky/gunky and often results in lost power when moving from idle ... but doubt that would improve with a warm engine. explansion?

good luck with it:)