LC - worn inner CV joints?

onvi tom

Oct 8, 2011
when/if you do regreece the cv joints pop down your local factor and they have cv boot clips cable ties are pants and a juberlee will trash your abs sensor

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
I think I will fit OEM front bushes on the front of the wishbone to match up with the OEM ones used on the rear wishbone bushes.

As for the rear beam bushes I am going for the OEM LCR ones as I have read that they are a bit stiffer.

Poly might be too harsh...

With regards to removing the clips on the inner cv joints to regrease, if the cable ties are "pants" as you say and the jubilee clips effect the abs sensor, what is the best to use??

Should I just use new one fit clips?

Can you get these from the dealers?

onvi tom

Oct 8, 2011
you can get them from your local motor factors mate i bought a whole reel of the clips and you just cut to length and make your own but then i use them every day i personally would reccoment removing the outer cv joints completely clean them and re greece them just pulling the boot back and fulling it with greece will do nothing at all .
if you buy a pair of cv boot kits from gsf euro car parts etc you get everything you need in the box

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Ok guys just another update on this issue.

To recap... I can hear a moaning / whining noise from the front passenger side, also was getting a vibration after driving for about 40mins or so.

Wheels perfectly balanced etc.

Just replaced the drivers inner cv joint and wheel bearing... Passenger side bearing replaced last year.

I thought this would have sorted the problem.....but no!!

So on the way home tonight when it started vibrating (through the whole car) I depressed the clutch and coasted and the vibration went away. Did this several times to check, definatly goes when not accelerating.

I noticed the passenger side driveshaft has a large corroded section (2-3" by 1.5"), looks like the surface coating has rusted off and got worse.

Would this issue with the driveshaft cause the above symptoms?

Should I replace the entire passenger side driveshaft c/w inner and outer cv joints??

Or could it be something else? Any ideas as this is ruining the Cupra at the moment.

Please help...:(

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Here is a picture of the passenger side driveshaft... Could this be the problem??

photo.jpg

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Nope, that's just the paint flaking off. From memory I believe that driveshafts are solid metal, so a little flaking paint won't upset things.

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Okay... wasn't sure if the drive shafts were solid or hollow??

I am going to try a few other things this weekend to narrow down the cause of this vibration and noise.

Any further ideas, if not a faulty driveshaft or inner / outer passenger side CV??

cheers

Segger

Nov 19, 2010
Ipswich
sounds like your gearbox my box whines in 3rd and 4th i have got some redline mt90 gear oil on order but i recon it will need refurbing before long mines an 05 with 66000 miles:cry:

Sorry to intrude your thread, just wonderin If redline mt90 good oil to use? Better than genuine stuff?

Last edited:

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Ok just a quick update, I still have the noise but I managed to get to bottom of the cause of the vibration.

As stated in my more recent thread, it turns out when the garage that I always use for perfect balancing (hunter machine), didn't balance both my front tyres when fitting my new wheels.

I thought it was odd that there was no weights on these wheels..lol

Anyway its fixed now, fingers crossed, I have taken the car for a blast along the motorway so far so good.

Now I am going to try and get to the bottom of the moaning / whining noise from the NSF.

Going to regrease the cv joints and change the gearbox oil, going to use the stuff that the guys recommended earlier in this thread... MT90, just to see if that reduces the noise.

Last edited:

Cupra_Mat

Aug 9, 2010
Sutton Coldfield / Lichfield
Ok just a quick update, I still have the noise but I managed to get to bottom of the cause of the vibration.

As stated in my more recent thread, it turns out when the garage that I always use for perfect balancing (hunter machine), didn't balance both my front tyres when fitting my new wheels.

I thought it was odd that there was no weights on these wheels..lol

Anyway its fixed now, fingers crossed, I have taken the car for a blast along the motorway so far so good.

Now I am going to try and get to the bottom of the moaning / whining noise from the NSF.

Going to regrease the cv joints and change the gearbox oil, going to use the stuff that the guys recommended earlier in this thread... MT90, just to see if that reduces the noise.

I have fixed this issue yesterday! TYRE PRESSURE believe it or not, With the tyre being slightly inflated the wheel was obtaining all the vibration and whining, with the tyre pattern i have gave the vibration due to the unevenness. Inflated the tyre to 33psi yesterday and loud whine disappeared just as easy as that. Wouldn’t think something so simple could cause an issue :think:

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.