LCR Brake Issue ---- Still ongoing

mdonaldson

Jan 27, 2008
Souf East - Essex
Third set of lcr discs - they keep warping!

HI there,

WHen I bought my LCR (53 Plate) I had all the discs and pads changed, Im now on my third set of discs :confused: for some reason they keep warping , happens roughly betwenn 1500 & 2500 miles, I dropped it off at my local dealers, theyve been good replaced them three times, but Im asking if anyone on here has seen OR even heard of this kind of thing

The dealer has put out an email to Seat UK & Other dealers if there is a known bad batch of discs ect.....

They've had it on the rollers testing the brakes on some meter, hub is fine, bearings spot on..... scratching head time, and as im NON Technical... Im asking you peeps...

Cheers,
Mark

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Happens all the time with Bikes. 4 Pistons are hard to get moving all together. Basically on piston sticks and causes the pad to drag on the disc. Its not enough to notice that the wheel is dragging, but the increased heat will warp the disc. Its all very well replacing the discs, but your calipers need at least a good clean with the pistons pumped out, possibly will need new piston seals if really jammed.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
My only advise which you may/may not know is never hold the brake pedal down in traffic or when waiting and use the handbrake as after youve slowed down then holding the pedal down transfers all the heat and can warp the disc. If you let someone else drive the car make sure they know that too as my mum did it on hers although the discs only began to warp when the discs were near the end of their life(thickness) anyway.

Only other thing is to get the calipers serviced/replaced as im unsure what else could cause it

Adam

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
if your driving heavy try not to stop .... a good run to cool the brakes first. once youve stopped disc will cool but area under pad cools alot slower.

mind you 3 sets? bad batch? im guessing your bedding in the discs right?

mdonaldson

Jan 27, 2008
Souf East - Essex
thakns for feedback so far.

I never sit on the brakes, always come to a nice smooth stop, and handbrake on in neutral (advanced driver, stop giggling you lot !! :D )

Not too sure about pads beng changed each time, but i got to admit, after driving 7 miles back from my dealers with harldy any braking, the discs were red hot, I thought bearings, no play at all... is there a HUB bearing on the vehicle too??? as I have a slight wirring comes from the nearside front, and apparently that the disc getting warped all the time....

How much would a set of NEW calipers be??? god do i need a second mortgage???

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
id have a chat with bill at badger5 . he knows his calipers. if its sticking im guessing its fixable as opposed to replacing.

handbrake and neutral:D;) top man

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I've always sat on the brake, never had any issues on standard discs.
Why don't go for a different set like EBC, Brembo grooved the next time?.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
If you have red hot disks from a casual drive home then some thing is sticking & binding overheating the disks, and that will kill 'any' disk, along with bearings, CV's, CV gaiters,balljoints and anything else which can get grilled by such high heat.

Brake drag it sound like.

1st check for me would be to see if the pistons on the calipers run ok in/out without stiction. Also the pads need to be able to move slightly in the calipers else they can bind and rub. All obvious things you would of hoped had been checked.

Now... a daft one, which I had happen to my Golf IV, was a faulty master cylinder & servo, which partly jammed internally, which rendered myt brake progressively on... Bare in mind this car for nearly 400bhp, and I could feel it slow down, kept putting my foot down, it kept getting slower and slower to the point I just limped onto the local petrol station forcourt I was headed for when the whole thing gave up in a pile of clutch and brake smoke. Stopped dead in the middle of their forcourt. :doh:

It was not moving for anyone, no matter how many offers I had of pushing it. I felt a right lemon..

My save was calling out MrsB with some tools, and I undid the m/c cylinder off the servo to release the pushrid internally which had snapped its end of and jammed sideways in there. what an effing job it was to change too.. Hatefull.

hope this helps..
regards
bill

mdonaldson

Jan 27, 2008
Souf East - Essex
HI Bill,.

Thanks for your comments.

I didnt mention this in my original post, but I get brake jusdder when braking from around 70 ;) and a soft to medium push on the brake, then dissapears around 40mph :shrug:

They do bite hard as they should....

I have sent some comments over to the dealers, see what they come up with it may help them in the right direction.

I do appreciate all of your suggestions, you guys are a great help

Will keep you posted.

mdonaldson

Jan 27, 2008
Souf East - Essex
Bill,

The disc looks fine to me, as do the pads, mind you with the warping causing the judder they're probably getting knocked around a bit.

Cheers,
Mark

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I ask the question as often pad pickup will feel like warped disks but it overheated pad material stuck to the disk, which looks like hot spots on the disk surface. Refacing can recover this, but bin the pads which did it as they toast if been overheated

woots

Is it really warped?

The link above gives more details on what I think Ibizacupra is saying. Makes sense, have you tried bedding brakes in properly (have a look round that site for details) when they are new?

mdonaldson

Jan 27, 2008
Souf East - Essex
hi ya,

I'm on my 3rd set, i take it easy when breaking at all times to be honest, im not a heavy right foot, im pretty well conservative, even dealers told me just take it easy, kiss the brake light, but its really begining to annoy me, as theres no clear cut as to whats the heck it is.... spoke to dealer this arvo, theyre stripping down the calipers next week they're using that as a starting point.

It annoys me that I had brembos on my evo 8 fq, 6 pots BIG Brakes on my scooby P1, and I drove them like i stole them, and had nooooo problems ever.... what makes this flipping leon so special...:confused:

Sorry all - 2 seconds of madness :cry:

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
We are having similar problems on my dad's a6 2.7twin turbo. We think it is due to the caliper being heated up in the past to remove a stuck bleed nipple; the excess heat has damaged the piston seals or similar causing the caliper to not apply pressure evenly; would this be a correct assessment? (caliper refurb with new seals etc should solve the issue?)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it would be unusual for them to stick, but they're pistons and they have seals, and dust can clog things up and corrosion can occur in the sliders too.

hopefully the strip will show it. else its elsewhere in the hydraulic system like i mentioned earlier :hide:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hopefully I am not going to "muddy the waters", but there are "tales" of another area of interest - not that I've ever had this happen to me, and that the internal collapse of some VAG flexible brake lines - they end up acting a bit like one way valves - and that is not good. But that could just be another urban myth!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have heard of this, but not experienced it myself.
stainless braided hoses for front of lcr are £47.50+vat in case thats the case.