LED Headlights - Anyone had one fail ?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
There is someone on the forum in which their LED DRLs have gone from a blue/white to very yellow...not sure if that one is on it's way out or not.

In fact does anyone knows the tell tale signs of LED lights failing. Dimming? Going yellow maybe?

For halogen, yes they get dimmer over time, and then one day they may flicker and go pop!

Bi-Xenons, I suspect, they tend to turn from white/blue light to purple, before they go pop..

LEDs, time will tell! Or do they go pop at all?

Saying that, i have seen before a 2005? Passat with LED tail lights, and noticed that some were not working...

These ones:
2010-volkswagen-passat-komfort-sedan-taillight.png

So I guess they can fail ultimately....

These do fail, my mate has these (very similar)on his VW Golf Plus and had to have both sides replaced as half a dozen of the individual LEDs had gone, from memory i think he had to pay 50% of the cost.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
When you start the engine ( lights on auto or just on ) - the headlights go through a cycle that lowers them and then brings them up to the correct level.

The fault is that one ( or both ) don't come up to the correct level.

Usually happens when its 0c or lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-daUWXRUna8

Software update 5F unit should sort this out.

Mostly time FULL-LED headlight dipped beam misaligned in relation to the other headlight my post about it http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=435683&highlight=beam+misaligned

Still sorting my one out have been booked for service so will see they should replace them.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Software update 5F unit should sort this out.

Mostly time FULL-LED headlight dipped beam misaligned in relation to the other headlight my post about it http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=435683&highlight=beam+misaligned

Still sorting my one out have been booked for service so will see they should replace them.

It wasn't software related - they tried that.

Nothing wrong with beam alignment normally.

However when cold - the drivers side headlight would not self level.

They replaced the auto levelling motor on the back of the headlight and that cured it.

andrew_ww

Nov 15, 2007
I've just had mine replaced, took 8 months of agro to finally get them replaced under warranty. Outside of warranty replacing will cost you 2 grand.... Insanely expensive.

Mine were cracked lenses so slightly different, but they did play the 'not covered under my extend warranty' card which I wasn't having.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
I have an extended warranty and it states ALL components cover so surely in law that means everything on the car apart from the likes of brake pads, windscreen wiper blades etc., or am I clutching at straws:shrug:

Last edited:

timo

Jun 2, 2017
My offside main beam has failed, the indicator has an intermitent fault and the headlight unit is full of water. Not condensation, but actual water! Thse may be related...

On the lookout for a replacement headlight, but the thought of paying Seat £700 is not something I'm particularly excited about.

MikeFr

Mar 3, 2014
I had an issue with my drivers side about 3 months ago, came home at night got out locked car and it stayed on.
Fiddled for ages switching on and off, starting engine on and off.
In the end left it for a bit and it went off. Never happened again, I put it down to somehow moisture got in connection as it had been a wet week.

May 20, 2020
Indeed, but was that due to end of LED lifespan, or something else went (circuit, wires, control unit) etc.

Did both fail, or one did, and so now you have one new and one orginal LED taillight?

May 20, 2020
2016 leon with full led lights. Drivers side drl has failed. I have removed bumper but
cant remove headlamp it seems to be held in buy one bolt which wont come out, all
it does is move the H/L unit up and down..

Any help would be appreciated.

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
From what I can remember there is about 6/7 screws that hold it together, once you remove these the headlight just pops out.

Think the bolt you are turning are for the headlight adjustment.

Go to this link which has all the workshop manuals, you need to download the Electrical system manual which ends in 82D6 and scroll to page 107 it will show you how to remove it

May 20, 2020
Thank you for your help but i based my headlight removal on the links that you suggested
but i am still stuck

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Thank you for your help but i based my headlight removal on the links that you suggested
but i am still stuck

Have you taken the 4 bolts out that are shown on the manual on page 111?
There are 3 along the top and then there is a hidden one at the back it's quite low down behind the headlight.
If you look at the 1st diagram it's screw number 2.
Then just remove the 3 screws in the second diagram and pull it towards you.
It should slide straight out with a hard tug, mine did.
It should pull out with the headlight track attached which you can remove after.

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
That seat dealer is wrong. They are covered if an led fails. Only standard halogen bulbs are not covered as classed as a wear and tear item.

I used to be a warranty manager at a vw garage. The extended warranties across vw/audi/seat and skoda are the same.

If you ask them to show you the extended warranty hand book it will say in there.

I have attached a screenshot of the page. States non xenon and non led bulbs under what isnt covered.

I have deal with a lot of 3rd party warranties and can say the vw/seat/audi/skoda one is by far the best as all main dealers can process. Sometimes with other 3rd party ones. You will have to pay 1st and try claim back etc. A lot mote isnt covered aswell.

75c8abd78cc56b01cc023b740cea9617.jpg

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr Pig

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Had a headlight (2015 led) start to fill with water, initially dealer claimed it would be condensation, then they saw the car, replaced under extended warranty, took approx 2 hours to do the job.

May 20, 2020
Had a headlight (2015 led) start to fill with water, initially dealer claimed it would be condensation, then they saw the car, replaced under extended warranty, took approx 2 hours to do the job.

Thanks for all replies, have now sorted it, seems i was to gentle with it.
New drl module is now fitted and all ok.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I was at Ikea yesterday and saw an 'one eye jack' 2016-2017 E class with one side LED headlight not working, but the dual DRLs were working fine on both sides. Saying that I routinely see a lot to pre 2016 E class tail lights with a mixture of 1 entire section not working, either innner or outter LEDs. It seems a lot of the newer cars have these failures... I would have thought the DRLs would be first to fail as they are on all the time and not the headlight though (in this Merc's case).

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Currently having a fight with local dealer over my auto-levelling motors not levelling and they playing stupid and saying they don't see anything wrong, cannot read any codes and that I need to bring in my car for them to investigate.
And, of course, I have videos of what whole thing, including car plate.

Can the ones who have had this issue with levelling comment here so I can show to them and prove this is not an isolated incident?

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Regardless they need to diagnose the fault themselves, this is for warranty purposes.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Regardless they need to diagnose the fault themselves, this is for warranty purposes.

Sure, but...
- Car has been there 2 times before after I complained about this fault
- They keep telling me there are no errors logged (of course not, since it is a mechanical fault)
- They asked me to make the videos, which I did, and now I am just being told that "we don't understand what is wrong or see nothing wrong in the video"
- This is an intermittent fault so, they may or may not see it...
- In the night, when the lights are on, obviously they are closed and I don't have a clear way to repro this issue

Makes me question what have they done for it on the two previous times, since I feel that now, when I got pissed, they are willing to actually investigate...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members