LED sidelights that WORK

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
Hi All,

I have on order a set of W5W LED sidelights that work with canbus systems like ours and don't throw a bulb out error!! They are £10.25 each (odd??) or £19.99 a pair. I am getting them from a well known bulb reseller on the web. I've had stuff before so I get the newsletter, free postage on orders over £15 too. They look a bit nifty, small pcb's with some smd parts on and a pair of 1W led's so no need for an external resistor or wiring in the original bulbs to fool the system. I'll let you know how I get on when they arrive. Seeing as the nights are drawing in again, i'll be able to take some photos. Meantime here is a piccy of the bulbs to whet your appetite. I will post the link if i'm allowed to, don't want to get flamed.

501_led_warning2.jpg

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Hi folks,

I now have the bulbs in my possession. I'm just in from work and its still light so no night photos yet. Firstly, YES THEY DO WORK!!!. The 'bulbs' themselves are very neat and well made. They are approx 1/8" thick pcb with some smd components on and off course 2x 1W white led's, one each side. Connections are made by pads on the pcb itself. The module is still polarity sensitive in that it will only work when in the right way around. If you put it in the wrong way you'll get a bulb out warning. Now since the modules are flat with led's on both sides, I will need to wait until its dark to see if its best to mount vertically or horizontally. I'll take some pics in the dark later and post all of them up after that. The pictures will be posted tonight around 10:00.

Thanks,

James

Poverty

Hi folks,

I now have the bulbs in my possession. I'm just in from work and its still light so no night photos yet. Firstly, YES THEY DO WORK!!!. The 'bulbs' themselves are very neat and well made. They are approx 1/8" thick pcb with some smd components on and off course 2x 1W white led's, one each side. Connections are made by pads on the pcb itself. The module is still polarity sensitive in that it will only work when in the right way around. If you put it in the wrong way you'll get a bulb out warning. Now since the modules are flat with led's on both sides, I will need to wait until its dark to see if its best to mount vertically or horizontally. I'll take some pics in the dark later and post all of them up after that. The pictures will be posted tonight around 10:00.

Thanks,

James

Leg end mate lol. Cant wait to see the pics.

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Alright, here are the pictures as promised, resized in photoshop but not retouched in any way. Still only one module in my car and it is in the vertical orientation. Its a bit cold here in Scotland and windy too. That aside, I'm pleased with the look already, seems like we're onto a winner here, I wonder if i'll get commission for sales...;)

Comparison shot: LED vs: Philips blue vision sidelight
led-1.jpg

Led on its own
led-3.jpg

Philips bluevision on its own
led-2.jpg

Comparison shot: LED vs: W5W on my kitchen worktop
led-5.jpg

Headlamp with LED installed in vertical position
led-4.jpg

Enjoy.....

Cheers, James

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
nice 1 mate very well done , just wonder when 2 are in what happens?
i think there have been other posts on different bulbs which worked for a while but then had the error codes , so you will need to keep us posted mate.

Poverty

theres gonna be a mass purchase at that website now. Looks the dogs danglies.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members