LED sidelights that WORK

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Bear in mind that the Leon has the CAN BUS wiring system, which means there is less wiring.
Adding extra load to the lighting circuit is gonna end in tears.

I test automotive switches for a living. They are only designed to carry so much current, before they go t!ts up!

itsmefishy

Jul 23, 2009
Nottingham
Agreed, but a 100w bulb aint gonna blow the wiring system, surely? Its not gonna be designed to take JUST 50-55w is it? Im a vehicle mechanic in the RAF, electrics aint a strong point by any means..... haha

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
can bus wiring systems are for control only, basically different processors communicating with each other. lights are still pretty much wired the old fashioned way.

Poverty

Surely its fuse protected before it will burn things down, but as others have said there isnt much in it between the 55w and the 100w

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
I've tried Nightbreakers, Philips Xtreme and the Ring Xenon Max 100% so far and have just ordered a set of the MTEC bulbs so looking forward to see how they compare.

Best for me out of what I have tried are the Ring Xenon Max 100% but they still have a tinge of yellow and I didn't want to mess with HIDs so thought the MTEC's would be the next best thing [B)]

FR_Flavoured

It appears we are well into the new age of tacky HID's, Xenons and LED side lights.
Every 5th car runs some kind of headlight mod. Quite blatant, either garish Blue or some strange LED arrangement.

Regards to AUDI's and their front daylight running LED's... Why dont they have REAR daylight running lights too? If the aim is to make the car more visible during the day!?

.....perhaps, that way they still get rear-ended (as apparently you dont see the car as it has no REAR daylight running lights), but in a head-on (crash), you see them coming for sure! :) Excess speed!

Last edited by a moderator:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
surely if you are driving during a time of day that having your rear end being visible would require "daytime running REAR lights" as you have said, you would just switch on your sidelights at least and then dipped beam... problem solved?

FR_Flavoured

surely if you are driving during a time of day that having your rear end being visible would require "daytime running REAR lights" as you have said, you would just switch on your sidelights at least and then dipped beam... problem solved?

I just find it a little confusing. Why do the AUDI's feature daylight lights on the front but leave the rear with no daylight lights / OFF?
Do they think the front of their cars are more difficult to see than the rear, so only fit lights that run during the day to the front?

It's probably more a warning - speeding AUDI driver coming through - so best wait at the junction to avoid an RTA! :D Just because they have bright lights on the front during the day makes them no more important, or have any additional "rights" on the road.

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Its quite obviously a fashion thing, got bugger all to do with safety, plus they happen to look as cool as....

they looked as cool as... until all the boy racers and chav's started putting LED strip lights on everything !
bit like the Lexus IS200 rear lights. remember first seeing one of them and thinking how cool that looked !?

:whistle:

FR_Flavoured

Its quite obviously a fashion thing, got bugger all to do with safety, plus they happen to look as cool as....

I agree, but then, isn't it by 2012 (someone quote me? :)) all new cars rolling out of the factory have to have daylight running lights as a legal requirement. So there must be more in it.

Still dont get why, if its to make the vehicle more "visible", they only run this style of lights on the front? After all, statistically you are more likely to rear end a car than a head-on!

[/Whine over, please carry on] :)

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
It's a new legislation all new cars must have DRLs. Must be European legislation as Merc, BMW, VW, Porsche(to name a few) all have them now.
Edit:
A quote from The House of Commons paper:-
This consultation seeks views on the mandatory use and the installation of automatic dedicated DRL on all motor vehicles (also trucks and buses, mobile machinery, small four-wheeled vehicles, tractors, etc.) in circulation on EU roads. Research indicates that such a measure could make a significant contribution to reaching the target of a 50% reduction in road traffic fatalities in the EU in 2010 compared to 2001. With a general introduction of DRL, it is estimated that between 1.200 and 2.00 lives could be saved per year in the European Union. DRL has its strongest reduction potential in multi-vehicle accidents with cars and in accidents involving cars and bicyclists.

I think the main point is making the car visible to pedestrians & cyclists.

Last edited:

FR_Flavoured

Thankyou for the additional information there Jon, interesting reading. ;)

It's a double ended sword :D As surely its the CAR thats likely to do the most damage in an accident.
So the driver of the said AUDI with daylight running lights should watch out for cyclists and pedestrians - as he's more likely to kill THEM!

Or when that happens will he try to put the blame on them!!...

" They just walked out into the road, i had no way of avoiding them - anyway, im running daylight running lights, so they must be in the wrong, as they didnt see ME!! ".

Hmmm. Theres not alot of logic in the world today! :)

Sorry if I've taken this Thread out of context, I just find the whole daylight running light feature pointless - and perhaps as stated above by itsmefishy, its primarily for show! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
There are also some horror stories out there not with leons I must admit where the 100w bulb has started to melt the interiors of the headlamp units too. They aren't the cheapest of things so I've always stuck with standard wattage bulbs.

FR_Flavoured

There are also some horror stories out there not with leons I must admit where the 100w bulb has started to melt the interiors of the headlamp units too. They aren't the cheapest of things so I've always stuck with standard wattage bulbs.

I wouldn't worry - soon it will be just the Two of us riding round in Leon's with normal (Yellow) headlights, while the rest of the world (and not just Leons) drive garish Blue. .. :p

Or, if you dont have sparkly HID's, you'll just drive round at NIGHT with only your standard sidelights on, but then put on your FOGS too - as apparently that looks "cool" also! :rolleyes:

LeonFR07DSG

Aug 15, 2008
Hertfordshire
I wouldn't worry - soon it will be just the Two of us riding round in Leon's with normal (Yellow) headlights, while the rest of the world (and not just Leons) drive garish Blue. .. :p

Or, if you dont have sparkly HID's, you'll just drive round at NIGHT with only your standard sidelights on, but then put on your FOGS too - as apparently that looks "cool" also! :rolleyes:

Talking of fogs are there any standard fit bulbs that match the headlights better like the MTECS?

and no i dont drive around with my fogs on, just would be nice to have them a similar colour to the rest when the weather requires them!

scott cupra 225

Dec 5, 2005
Kemnay, Aberdeenshire
anybody tried these?

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t1....html?osCsid=efe780e81f3f44fea7487490c066650d

Wandered has anybody tried these in their side lights? I have just ordered some earlier this morning so cant wait to get them to try! I have been reading all the other posts and seen people have been having some trouble and looking for the LED facing forward. Will keep you posted and post photos once i try them unless anybody else has any photos or reviews?

CupraCol

501 T10 501 canbus LEDs No error code bulbs

Hi guys just purchased a set of these the other day and popped them in remarkably quickly last night to my surprise they worked 1st time :shrug:

Unfortunately when I turn the ignition on the bulb warning lamp comes on but goes out after a few seconds.

Does this mean the car thinks there is a faulty bulb or is this just a check if bulb is faulty does the light stay on till replaced?:confused:

Any comments appreciated once I have enough posts I will post pics