Leon 1.4 TSI FR after Golf GTI?

Whizzwheels

Jun 10, 2014
Edinburgh
I can see that I need to compare a few cars but I have been put off test drives.

My past experience was that the norm is a 20 minute test drive accompanied by the sales rep. This was usually followed by the hard sell. Has that changed? Maybe I need to phone round a couple of dealers and ask. I bought the last three cars without a test drive for that reason.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I pretty much had my mine made up on the leon before I drove it. While driving it I had a few things I wanted to check out and the sales guy was excellent, no hard sell and let me drive on motorway aswell as country roads to answer all the things I wanted to check.

Before going to see the leon I looked at so many cars but value for money / power and economny made me decide on the leon.

You are brave buying cars without driving them 1st, although I had decided on the leon I still needed to drive it 1st to make sure I liked it.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
After nearly five years with my 1.4 tsi Golf se which I absolutely loved and many test drives of a lot of cars including all the vag ones in the same segment i.e. Octavia, Golf 7, Audi A3, and both the FR and Se in the Leon I plumped as you can see on my signature for the SE Leon. This was because of the softer suspension so I specced it up as you can see.
I can honestly say I have not been disappointed in any way. I am getting on in years ( 67 ) and find the seats very supportive with no tiredness or aches at the end of a journey. The engine is loosening up nicely and the extra 20 hp over the Golf is imo very noticeable and the car now flies and my wife is forever telling me too take my foot off the gas :lol:
There is a lot of discussion on here about build quality etc, must say it has not been an issue with me, car is well put together no squeeks or rattles, as quite as my Golf was. Okay no soft materials in the glove box or door bins but I have done these myself at very little cost.:)

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
I can see that I need to compare a few cars but I have been put off test drives.

My past experience was that the norm is a 20 minute test drive accompanied by the sales rep. This was usually followed by the hard sell. Has that changed? Maybe I need to phone round a couple of dealers and ask. I bought the last three cars without a test drive for that reason.

My salesman came with us when I test drove the FR because it wasn't taxed/registered and was being driven on trade plates but when I said the suspension was a bit firm for my old bones he gave me the keys to a taxed and registered SE and told me to take it for as long as I liked, which I did.

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Letchworth seat gave me the keys to a 48-mile FR in excahnge for my old merc and just let me loose.......was out for 30 minutes all alone. No hard sell when I came baqck, or any other time. Just quite laid-back, and wanted to know what they had to do to get the deal. cannot complain in any way about them...

spongemak

I just bought a Leon FR 1.4 DSG, I also have an Altea Freetrack which carries the same motor of the GTI 2.0 TSI, I can tell, the Leon feels good and has good throttle response, but the Freetrack is more powerful, you'll find the difference if you are used to a GTI, I recommend to try the 1.8 FR before going for the 1.4, it's very good for the city but doesn't feel the same on the motorway.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.