Leon 1.9tdi help

Shifty1978

Please tell me you don't need to remove the bumper to swap MAP sensor over?!

The wash fluid bottle needs replacing anyway but on all my other diesels it has been fairly accessible.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yes most likely, it's easier anyway and the bumper is only held on with a few screws, youtube it.

Seatmann wrote
Not that I'm picking hairs Muttley but the ALH (which is a 90) has a vnt the same size as the 110 lol:p

To avoid confusing the issue I generalised. The ALH is a bit odd in any case - it's the last of the TDI 90's, and I think they ran out of wastegate turbos, or wanted to simplify production lines. I'm not sure if there are any differences between the hardware of the ALH and (say) ASV engines - are the injectors different? Otherwise the ALH is just an ASV with a lower power software map.

Yeh the ALH and AGR are identical apart from the turbo and crank sensor, the ASV has uprated pistons with special oil coolers, injectors in the 90's are .184 but .205 in the 110's unless it's an automatic in which case they're something like .154 with an 11mm pump. Not sure on the AHF, I think it's just a 110 version of the ALH.

Shifty1978

Thanks both for quick responses, photos et all!

Will look at the videos, a few screws sounds well within my capabilities! 2nd hand car dealer I bought car from has promised to purchase a new MAP and put in post to me. Even if its not a VW one I guess the worst it can do is fail, rather than damage anything further?

Will also check all hoses in meantime.

Shifty1978

Right finally had the part through in post. I take it this looks like a MAP sensor before I start disassembling bumper etc?

photo3_zps3a00f28e.jpg

Hopefully that worked.

I am sure I have read about cleaning the MAP sensor but cant see what there is too clean on these? Does it just plug and click in as there seems to be a different material (almost shiny) around the protruding bit.

I think its deffo a cheap as chips MAP sensor but will put it on anyway just to test....

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
It's the MAF sensor that people sometimes try to clean.

The protruding bit is the pressure sensor, the rest is just a mounting, with a pressure seal to stop the boost escaping. I think you need to be careful with the screws, as the intercooler header is plastic and you can strip the threads if you get carried away.

Shifty1978

I can't shift screws so left it. I thought from diagnostics it was map sensor that may require changing?

Either way can't do it so to garage it will go. Front bumper a pain to clip back in around wheel arches tho

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.