Leon 1P 1.6, faulty folding wing mirrors

pyro

May 31, 2018
Hampshire
Hi all,

My 2008 1.6 1P Leon has had faulty wing mirrors since I bought it about 3 years ago. I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is, and has any advice or links to a good guide for fixing them.

They are electronically adjustable, folding, and heated. The heating element works fine in both. The adjustment seems to work fine itself, but see below for a problem there.

The symptoms are the mirrors will fold up, but not always go back down, and not always back to the position they were in before. They usually require being pushed back out manually, not sure if that's good for them.

The driver's side is a bit wobbly, and when they do fold down, they don't always go back to the same position. It sometimes looks like it's folded down too far as the mirror housing and the static base part don't line up.
The glass also seems to come back down at a weird angle too, in a way that makes the internal knob adjustment unable to put it back in a sensible position. Again this usually requires poking it back.
The folding is dodgy both from the key and the center console knob.

Are these reasonable to try and change myself? I did some research a few years ago and from what I recall it looked like you had to take the whole door card off and tape up the glass. Not too keen on doing that if so.

If anyone has part numbers for the passenger and driver wing mirrors that would be really helpful. They are the standard rounded back ones, not the FR style ones with the crease.

Thanks

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Having a loose drives side wing mirror must be a common fault as mine is the same lol mine doesn’t always come back down you have to do it afew times I just leave them alone now Incase they do pack up.

pyro

May 31, 2018
Hampshire
Having a loose drives side wing mirror must be a common fault as mine is the same lol mine doesn’t always come back down you have to do it afew times I just leave them alone now Incase they do pack up.

Yeah that's what I do, just leave them alone and not use them. Still, it would be nice to get them working.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members