Leon 2008 prefacelift radio upgrade to facelift - questions.

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
I have a 2008 pre facelift Linea R that doesn't have usb ports. I don't feel like switching to multimedia because of all the bling and tacky graphics that makes it very indescrete looking . I am hoping to switch to facelift version that supports mp3 reading via USB.

1) Has anyone done such an upgrade? I assume sticking an usb cable from the back is a must since my car doesn't come with it.
2) Is there a limitation to how facelift radio reads folders? I read somewhere that some unit (possibly that one) goes only up to 99 songs in 6 folders.
3) Will I be able to use steering wheel commands with it and aux port behind the parking brake?

Thank you

5a6dfcf8dde0be2e54bc8b18

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
I had the same radio in my old Ibiza, TBH it's not great and I would suggest you find a decent aftermarket one or a higher spec RNS/RCD unit from the Leon.

The USB cable is not a simple extension, it is its own separate unit which is connected to that head unit.
Not sure on the limitation on folders (someone with that radio/manual can help). However, you can only use mass storage devices (USB drive) to store music unless you use the USB unit and VW/SEAT iPod cable like in the image above.
The steering wheel controls should work as they are can-bus on the Leon I believe.

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
I had the same radio in my old Ibiza, TBH it's not great and I would suggest you find a decent aftermarket one or a higher spec RNS/RCD unit from the Leon.

The USB cable is not a simple extension, it is its own separate unit which is connected to that head unit.
Not sure on the limitation on folders (someone with that radio/manual can help). However, you can only use mass storage devices (USB drive) to store music unless you use the USB unit and VW/SEAT iPod cable like in the image above.
The steering wheel controls should work as they are can-bus on the Leon I believe.

Thanks for replying. Could you please elaborate a bit three things for me.
1) What is no so great about it? I'm interested mainly in using it as a handsfree for the phone and mp3 via usb stick.

2)"The USB cable is not a simple extension, it is its own separate unit which is connected to that head unit." - This means that if I want to have a usb port, it's a separate unit I'll most likely have to buy/find with the cable that attaches to this upgraded radio? (just double checking if I got it right, seems pretty clear)

3) "You can only use mass storage devices (USB drive) to store music unless you use the USB unit and VW/SEAT iPod cable like in the image above"
I literally don't understand what this means. What is the difference between "USB drive" and "USB unit"?As I understood, usb drive goes into the usb cable which goes into the radio. What is this "USB unit"?

Why are you not going for the RNS-315?

I was looking into 330 model, but it requires a great deal of effort to install. Didn't quite pay attention to 315. Not even sure which one of those is a better unit. I noticed some models like 510 have laggy response etc.

Last edited:

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
Thanks for replying. Could you please elaborate a bit three things for me.
1) What is no so great about it? I'm interested mainly in using it as a handsfree for the phone and mp3 via usb stick.

2)"The USB cable is not a simple extension, it is its own separate unit which is connected to that head unit." - This means that if I want to have a usb port, it's a separate unit I'll most likely have to buy/find with the cable that attaches to this upgraded radio? (just double checking if I got it right, seems pretty clear)

3) "You can only use mass storage devices (USB drive) to store music unless you use the USB unit and VW/SEAT iPod cable like in the image above"
I literally don't understand what this means. What is the difference between "USB drive" and "USB unit"?As I understood, usb drive goes into the usb cable which goes into the radio. What is this "USB unit"?

1. It's just a bit old and dated, there are newer head units out there which would do the job better. But for what you want it's probably okay then. You will need to check, I can't remember and don't have the car anymore, but I think you need a separate Bluetooth module for the phone part. If your current car has Bluetooth phone support you might be okay (I think the module is under the driver’s seat?).

2. Yes that’s right, this was the case with the installation in my car (Ibiza) with the same head unit. If you go to a breaker you can probably get both.

3. By USB unit I meant the separate USB unit from point 2, the box that will have the USB and aux port on it. What I was trying to say was that if you plug a USB stick in it will be fine. But if you use a phone/iPhone/iPod USB cable this will not work via USB, you need another adapter cable for iPhone/iPod and you cannot plug your phone in for media, the phone will just charge.

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
Thanks for the elaborate reply. All I need is to find out if it supports bluetooth phone operation for Androids.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.