Leon Battery! what to get?

PM Leon

Hi Everyone,

I am new to all this. But am wondering if anyone can offer some advise. I have a Seat Leon SE20V Auto (2002) and need a new battery for the car. I have been told several different things regarding what battery to get. The Seat dealer that the car was originally brought from years ago told me over the phone that i need to get a VW/SEAT battery as a replacement battery from Halfords or the like will not fit properly in the space provided for the battery under the bonnet. Then another SEAT dealer has told me that i can get a replacement battery and it should fit just fine.

So my question is if i bought a standard replacement battery e.g. a bosch from a Halfords or similar would it fit in my car and would that battery casing/fuse box be able to sit on top of it correctly?

Any advise would be most helpful

Regards

PM Leon

sambadeluxe

Had the same query on an octavia estate recently- go to germam and swedish (GSF) motor factors very good on price for Bosch battery and fitted like for like

Ben

Go to GSF or any other motor factors - I always use VARTA batteries, they come highly recommended and have never let me down!

The only thing you really need to worry about is the size - if the battery will fit in the tray it's good to go, then all you need to worry about is the CCA's and the AmpHr rating. If these are equivalent or better than what's stated on your current battery then you'll be fine.

CCA's (cold cranking amps) define how long the battery will deliver a certain voltage at 0degC for 30secs... the higher, the better, and will help the car start in the cold mornings

The AmpHr rating is the battery reserve capacity which is also important.

P.S.
All motor factors will have a cross reference guide to let them know which battery will be suitable for your car, and then you can really just choose by price.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I'd recommend at least 60AH/450A for an LC/LCR

go for a decent make as an auto will need something with balls in it and halfords do Bosch but are v.expensive so try ring round local factors for Bosch/Numax etc

standard straight fit spec as above will be 065 (55ah/460) for auto at least an 075 (60ah/570) but if you can live without the battery cover and have the room at the end for another cell 096 (72ah/680) would more than cover ya needs

always fitted the biggest i can get in myself and the 096 on the beeza is heavy but it's never so much as murmured in 5 years

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
Halfords are not ok, they are becoming PC World rip off merchants of the car parts industry.

They wanted 120 quid for a bosch for the wifes cupra, or around 100 for their own brand.

Got a bosch from Euro Car Parts for £54 all in in the end.

turbin

has anybody made a bracket for the battery to fit in the rear where the spare tire went ?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.