Leon Cupra 280 - Coolant Usage?

SupaCupra

Apr 7, 2016
Hi guys,

My Leon Cupra 280 has nearly hit 10,000 miles - I've owned it since about 3,500 and to be honest when I bought the car I didn't pay attention as to what the coolant level was.

On the way home from work today, I had the 'Check Coolant!' warning come up on the dash. Stopped on the way home from work, got some coolant and checked it when I got home checked it out. On the coolant bottle there are 2 lines to show the minimum mark - my coolant was in between the two.

The coolant was a brown colour, is that normal? I've now topped it up and will monitor it but is that normal? How fast should the coolant go down? Has anyone else had this happen to them? Should I be worried?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Winder123

Aug 10, 2015
North West
How 'brown' is it?
A brown colour in your coolant tank could imply oil mixing into an emulation making a chocolate milk type looking creation. This could be due to a leaky gasket or cross contamination

Another reason could also be a mix of different types of coolant can create an off colour (so someone along the lines has topped it up without draining the tank)

As Andy said there's been a few posts in the past about Cupras either leaking or it not being filled properly in the factory (from experience, a vacuum is created in the system before coolant is fed into the tank, removing air and the Chance of blockages)

But yeah, dealer visit is your best bet

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Slipps

Northern Sassenach
Jan 17, 2015
Durham
Similar missing coolant issues on the S3 seems to be a bit of a feature of the engine and last time I looked Audi couldn't really explain it so the chances of coming up with an explanation from SEAT are ...well they all do that sir. The colour on the other hand is a bit of food for thought !

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.