Leon Cupra 280 - Mag ride question (DCC)

K8VXT

Sep 13, 2020
Hi all!

This is my first post on the forum, so introducing myself - I recently purchased a Leon Cupra 280 (2014).

I had a question on the dampers of my car, I noticed the front two are leaking a bit, I'll probably change them soon.

I have mag ride/DCC on my car and I wondered does that make a difference to the shocks I need to buy?
Also, does mag ride/DCC impact the springs - or can I change them to H&R springs?

Thanks,

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Firstly welcome to the forum...

If you want to retain DCC, then you’ll need to replace with DCC shocks, albeit there are some aftermarket options available too, depending on what you want to do to the car.

You can buy non-OEM and/or lowering springs to compliment the DCC.

@Damian @ DPM is one of the forum sponsors, and will probably offer you some advice.

Reactions: DamianPM

K8VXT

Sep 13, 2020
Thanks! I definitely want to retain the DCC but then couple with the lowering springs. Just want to make sure i buy the correct parts for the setup.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
If you want to retain the DCC then you'd need to go for standard really but you could change the springs to H&R.

Another option would be KW coilovers where you could also retain the DCC modes.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Nov 8, 2021
The dampers in the Cupra/Golfs aren't technically mag ride.
Mag ride uses magnetic fluid and electro magnets to change the damping properties - generally only comes on "expensive" cars.
The Cupra DCC uses electronically controlled valves that changes the flow rate in the damper.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
The dampers in the Cupra/Golfs aren't technically mag ride.
Mag ride uses magnetic fluid and electro magnets to change the damping properties - generally only comes on "expensive" cars.
The Cupra DCC uses electronically controlled valves that changes the flow rate in the damper.
Mag ride is what Audi uses, I had it on my S3 (which was cheaper than my Cupra Ateca!). It was also pretty crap, with very little change in feeling suspension-wise between modes (although apparently much improved on latest cars), DCC is significantly better. Where Audi is better is the degree of mix and match you can have in the individual setting.

Reactions: Byronwww
Nov 8, 2021
Mag ride is what Audi uses, I had it on my S3 (which was cheaper than my Cupra Ateca!). It was also pretty crap, with very little change in feeling suspension-wise between modes (although apparently much improved on latest cars), DCC is significantly better. Where Audi is better is the degree of mix and match you can have in the individual setting.
Think the word I was looking for was "premium" brands :)

Mag(ne)ride is used on everything from Cadillac's to Ferraris - how good it is would be mostly on the calibration and spec for the use case - lot of other variables impact the feel (tires, wheel size, spring rate, weight etc. etc.). The electro-magnets can respond quicker than the DCC style hydraulic system - though I'd really like to see a real world test of one vs the other in the same car with the same setup!

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
FYI, breakers in Sweden are selling compete front shock + spring from 2018 / 2019 CURPA for around £100.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi all!

This is my first post on the forum, so introducing myself - I recently purchased a Leon Cupra 280 (2014).

I had a question on the dampers of my car, I noticed the front two are leaking a bit, I'll probably change them soon.

I have mag ride/DCC on my car and I wondered does that make a difference to the shocks I need to buy?
Also, does mag ride/DCC impact the springs - or can I change them to H&R springs?

Thanks,
As these are expensive parts I would first double check the quantity/severity of 'leaking; oil? VAG have an 'allowance' for some misting oil at the dampers (presume this also applies to DCC dampers?), would you say you have a misting of oil?
If an actual oil stream/flow then yes would need changing.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
As these are expensive parts I would first double check the quantity/severity of 'leaking; oil? VAG have an 'allowance' for some misting oil at the dampers (presume this also applies to DCC dampers?), would you say you have a misting of oil?
If an actual oil stream/flow then yes would need changing.
The OE electronically controlled damper is around £226 each.

Bilstein also do an aftermarket version with electronic control 23-238978 for similar money.

Not sure if yours is FL or FM?
1636451253196.png

1636451292412.png

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise